News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Would you believe?

Started by SteamGene, December 02, 2008, 04:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I've been using a BLI C&O T-1 2-10-4 to push a track cleaning car.  It kept stalling on two different curves.  I finally looked down on the loco and tender and it appeared they touched at one point on the curves.  So I moved the tender to the far hole of the drawbar and it now works fine - there must have been a short, somehow.  The curve radius, btw, is 30 inches.  I wonder how somebody with a 4x8 can operate this horse.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Yes, I believe. That's why there are not 2-10-4's, 2-10-2's, etc, on my railroad. not even with my 36"+ curves.

I had to do a little work to get my PCM Reading T-1 (4-8-4 for those who don't know) to even like 36" curves close coupled. And my Bachmann 4-8-2 Heavies don't like anything less than a #6 turnout when close coupled.

Sheldon

Stephen D. Richards

Gene, I have a PRR J1 Paragon.  I also had to move the Tender to the fartherest hole in the draw bar.  Mine will negotiate 22" radius curves (although not very eye appealing) without any problems.  The engine that is!  The Tender will not stay on the tracks.  It has the dog house version with the catapillar trucks.  Actually it will, as long as I am not pulling any rolling stock.  I really like the looks of the locomotive though.  One day I will have my dream layout!   ;) ;D         Stephen

SteamGene

Sheldon,
Were I sensible, I wouldn't have anything larger than a 2-8-2 on my layout.  As large as it is - I guess it's a large medium size layout, it really equates to a two mile long branch line coming from a division point or marshalling yard. 
But, if you build a C&O steam locomotive (streamlined L-2s and M-1s being the exception) that I can afford, I will buy at least one.  So....
And I think I may be at least partially responsible for BLI building the T-1 - so I have two, one bought new and one bought as a rebuild, return, or whatever.  Both are great.  And they (the 1:1s) have some interesting stories. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

grumpy

Don't dismiss the use of articulate locos. I run a 4-6-6-4  Challenger From Athern on my layout which is all 18" curves . It runs well and looks good .
Don :)

SteamGene

I have articulateds also, one H-4/6, two H-5s, two H-8s and one USRA light Mallet, unlettered, which will be a VT&P Class A-2.  The H-4/6 has a second tender to run as a VT&P Class A-1. 
The reason large articulateds can negotiate extreme model curves is that both engines swivel, as opposed to the real ones where only the lead swivels.  So as far as the track is concerned, an Athearn 4-6-6-4 is really a 4-6-0 and an 0-6-4 double headed. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

Gene,

I have a similar collection of articulated locos, Three USRA 2-6-6-2's, two USRA 2-8-8-2's, one 2-6-6-4 and one 2-6-6-6. All look and run well on my curves.

I chose the T-1 as the Northern for my freelanced road becauseits features are "East Coast" and it blends well with the USRA/B&O/C&O look of my other power. All fitting the scheme of the railroads name "Atlantic Central".

Beyond those mentioned above, all the rest of my steam power is medium to small. Here's a partial list:

Six - USRA heavy 4-8-2's
Three - USRA light 2-8-2's
One - USRA heavy 2-8-2
Eight - Baldwin 2-8-0's
Two - Baldwin 4-6-0's
Three -  USRA light 4-6-2's
Two - USRA 0-8-0's
One - Alco 4-4-2

With little or no modification. all blend together to give a "family" look.

Sheldon

Michigan Railfan

Are you rich?, because that's alot of steam loco's.  Should I even ask how many diesel locomotives you have?

Atlantic Central

indianajones12,

Well, I do OK, but I have been doing it a long time too. Are you young? If so, when you are older you will be able to aford more.

Yes I do have a lot of diesels as well.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Well, gee, Indiana.
2 USRA 0-6-0 (modified) - Bachmann
4 USRA 0-8-0  (Proto and IHC)
5(?) 2-8-0 (Spectrum and IHC)
7 2-8-2 (USRA light and heavy, Mantua, C&O K-3)
5 2-8-4 (Proto, Bachmann, Mantua)
3 2-10-2 (USRA light and heavy, IHC)
2 2-10-4 C&O T-1
2 4-6-2 - USRA light (Athearn)
4 4-6-4 - IHC and Rivaraossi
7 4-8-2 - IHC, Spectrum, Bowser, USRA, light and heavy
4 2-6-6-2 (C&O H-4/6, H-5, USRA - undec)
2 2-6-6-6 (Rivarossi)
also a few diesels.  GP 7s and SW-9s
Collected over a period of years.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

grumpy

You only buy them one at a time that way they don't cost as much. You know you have a lot when you start running short of space for storage and display. I spent part of the day putting up shelving .
My wife collects ceramic cows and she has more cows than I have locos so I feel iam entitled to match her quantity.
Don :)

pdlethbridge

why don't you get her some of those plastic cow pies I showed Bob?

Michigan Railfan

Atlantic Central, yes I am young, in which case I don't have too much trains, but I plan to be an architect when I grow up, and I think they make alot of money.  With alot of that money, I plan to buy many trains to fill my basement with one or two giant layouts.