News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track Planning

Started by jsmvmd, March 16, 2007, 07:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsmvmd

Howdy. Sorry to post something that may have been covered, but until I upgrade to high speed internet, my browser is "slow as 'lassus in the wintertime!" (Any of you Clint Eastwood fans will recognize that from the Outlaw Josie Wales).

Am in the process of planning a long dogbone with possible center section to make a modified "E" shape into an area approx 15' x 10'.  Any suggestions how to figure how much and what track I will need?  I was thinking of using one of several published plans using other track, but modifying it to EZ Track. Perhaps the new track book will have what I need. If there is any EZ track planning software, I would appreciate the link.

Thanks, and as always, all the best to you!

Jack

Terry Toenges

Start by buying some of the pieces you will need.
One thing to do is to figure what minimum radius you will use for the equipment you will be running.
Buy some curves with the minimum radius you will use. You know that you will need at least enough to make two half circles. With an "E", you'll probably need enough for 4 half circles.
If you want easement curves (a good idea), that will be more complicated.
You know you will use straights, so buy some straights. You probably have a rough idea of how long your straight sections will be. Buy what you're sure you'll need to start with.
Start laying them out.
Then, it's easier to figure out what pieces you will need to fill in the gaps.
Feel like a Mogul.

Nigel

Hi Jack;

Terry answered almost all of your question, and I believe his suggestion is superior to software.

But to answer your software question, Atlas RTS can be used to design layouts for EZ track.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

jsmvmd

Thanks, Friends.

Will do as suggessted. Do you think I can get away with 24 or 28 inch curves, or should I go with the 33.5" as a double mainline with 28" or 24" curves for the inside radius for  the dogbone?

I have the rts software and find it to be too cumbersome for this old cranky guy (I think that is how my good woman looks at me).

Best, Jack

jsmvmd

What I should have said is I am not good at close figuring to precisely fit all this stuff together without cutting and pasting. Is it possible to cut an EZ Track section to size, then use two connectors to join the pieces? I have not had a section of EZ track in my hand, but it looks like there are molded connectors. Am I correct?

Nigel

Quote from: jsmvmd on March 17, 2007, 09:35:19 PM
What I should have said is I am not good at close figuring to precisely fit all this stuff together without cutting and pasting. Is it possible to cut an EZ Track section to size, then use two connectors to join the pieces? I have not had a section of EZ track in my hand, but it looks like there are molded connectors. Am I correct?

You can cut it with a razor saw.  Make sure the cuts are square.  Then use standard rail joiners, and if you want you can use solvent (like Testor's) to bond the plastic together.  You may want to add a styrene or ABS splice underneath.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

jsmvmd

Thanks, Nigel.

Now, and with respect to Bachmann, will EZ track give me a great layout, or should I consider Atlas flex track with Shinohara or other powered frogs for DCC?  The reason I ask, Lionel Strang in his book about DCC has stated powered frogs are to be preferred for DCC.  Am I correct in assuming you are the chap who has planned computer aided block control, and thus are not too concerned about DCC, Nigel?

Anyone else can chime in, if you wish.

Thanks and best wishes,

Jack

GlennW

AFAIK most other brands of track will be better than EZtrak. At least get the NS/gray variety. It is much better than the steel/black track. On the ends, there are plastic loops that join the pieces together. You also get metal rail joiners. Both must fit together!

For plastic track, you may consider Kato Unitrak. I suggest going to Etailer
Toy Train Heaven in PA for the best prices. You can ballast/paint it to make it look better.

jsmvmd

ITPete

Nigel

Quote from: jsmvmd on March 17, 2007, 10:22:49 PM
Am I correct in assuming you are the chap who has planned computer aided block control, and thus are not too concerned about DCC, Nigel?

Hi Jack;

Not I.  DCC is much less expensive than computer aided block control.

Turnouts: I like Peco as the best combination of reliability, price and realism.

Track: Atlas flex, but planning on trying MP next time, due to price.

I also use EZ track, and Atlas turnouts........
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

jsmvmd

Hi, Nigel.

Do you have any electrical conductivity issues such as Harold Minkwicz has noted on his website? My reason forasking, I do not want to get into excessive tinkering if I can avoid it.

Am in the process of planning an HO layout in a space 12' x 17' and am anticipating a long U-shaped dogbone with attached "Monitor" style piece in one corner, with wye connection, 24" or greater diameter curves, easment, etc. Looks like Atlas flex track with #4 Peco turnouts might be the way to go. Have not decided on a DCC system. No one locally is expert at any one system. Might just go with EZ Command to start. Althought, NCE is quite appealing.  I have a friend, retired electrical/mfg guru who is champing at the bit to help me, wants to do 3 day marathons, etc. Very motivated guy, wouldn't you say?

Best, Jack

Scott S

Glenn -
Quote from: GlennW on March 18, 2007, 04:45:56 PM
AFAIK most other brands of track will be better than EZtrak. At least get the NS/gray variety. It is much better than the steel/black track. On the ends, there are plastic loops that join the pieces together. You also get metal rail joiners. Both must fit together!

For plastic track, you may consider Kato Unitrak. I suggest going to Etailer
Toy Train Heaven in PA for the best prices. You can ballast/paint it to make it look better.

As far as you *Know*? You give no supporting information. Why do you say most other brands are better than EZ-Track?

I for one favor NS EZ-Track over other plastic roadbed (Lifelike Power-loc, Atlas True-Track, Kato Unitrak as offering
1) the best selection: various curve radii and lengths, multiple turnout geometries.
2) decent appearance (I like the Atlas track better, but there is far less selection in the Atlas offering, no curves wider than 24", no switches other than snap-switches)
3) decent price.

Kato appears well-engineered, but has three issues for me: appearance, cost, and somewhat lack of selection. Regarding appearance, I think the tie spacing might be the culprit - there are too few per length.

My experience with EZ-track is that is stays together well and that treated well, it lasts through multiple uses.

Regarding NS (nickel silver) vs. steel, I also assert that NS is better than the steel variety , regardless of brand, mostly because steel will corrode. There should also be a slight advantage in conductivity, but I expect most of us would not notice that. The cleaning issue (due to corrosion) for me outweighs the slight cost advantage in steel track.

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

Sorry to beat a dead horse about EZ Track, but it is better and safer than kicking the family dog!!!

Is it feasible to use a #5 or #6 turnout for easment into a lesser radius curve?

Here is my inexperience.

Or do you not use a turnout to initiate a curved area on one's layout?

Best Wishes to All,

Jack from Altoona, PA.  We will be watching and filming the choo choo's tomorrow with the kids!!!