News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ummmmm

Started by HOplasserem80c, March 16, 2007, 06:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOplasserem80c

i have orderd a UP desert storm from athearn and i would appreciate it if someone could tell me what it pulled in the war?

Jim2903

A local freight between Baghdad and Tikrit on the UP's "Spider Hole" division ;)
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

SteamGene

It handled the Kommandbahn for SS Ostmittle Panzergrenedier Division.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Bill Baker

Right!  It had over a hundred flat cars carring King Tigers. ;)
Bill

Jim Banner

As I understand it, Dessert Storm and his brother Sand Storm had a contract to deliver silicon ore from Bagdad to Silicon Valley. Iraq has lots and lots of silicon ore.  But they ran into problems when they tried to cross the Atlantic Ocean.  So they ended up just running their train round and round in circles.  I understand the Athearn train set models that aspect rather well.  But maybe it was just as well.  The Storm brothers had planned on bringing back box car loads of compasses and protractors and straight edges.  A few years later that would have got them in trouble for spreading instruments of math instruction.   

I think there would have been a great deal of Shock and Awe if they had manage to run a train in the desert.  To bad they were a generation too early.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

LD303

omg! you cant be serious????
Quote from: HOplasserem80c on March 16, 2007, 06:54:41 PM
i have orderd a UP desert storm from athearn and i would appreciate it if someone could tell me what it pulled in the war?

do you think the UP had trains in kuwait or iraq???? youve got to be joking right? do you mean what did the locos painted with the desert storm scheme handle on the UP in the USA?  because if you mean what did they do over in iraq\kuwait.......youve finally done what i knew you would.....open mouth...insert foot....both feet actually!!!!!!

;D :D    thats excellent jim!!  weapons of math instruction....lol   i think we could use some of those in this country! 

brad

AAAAWWW LD303 ruined our fun. Did you have to let him in on it so soon??? ;)

They used them to haul hopper cars full of large plastic army men and die cast military vehicles to use as decoys in Iraq, so you could duplicate the prototype by using toys found at home.   ::) ::) ::)

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

msowsun

http://www.daveswebshop.com/railcards_10.shtml

UNION PACIFIC 3593
An EMD SD45-2 was repainted in Desert Storm
camouflage colors in honor of Union Pacific's
66 employees that served in active duty. 3593
was released from the North Little Rock Shops
on February 27, 1991, for service throughout the
railroad's nineteen state system. On August 19,
1991, the locomotive was seen at Portland, Ore.
The "Desert Victory" colors disappeared on Oc-
tober 10, 1991, in favor of UP's traditional ar-
mour yellow.

lanny

Jim,

I'm still 'rolling on the floor laughing' ... your 'wickipedia explanation' about the Storm brothers is just too good! In fact, maybe it should go in 'wickipedia'  :-)

Thanks! Ever thought of being a 'humor writer' as a side line when you're not busy with model railroading!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

LD303

Quote from: HOplasserem80c on March 16, 2007, 11:02:32 PM
ok i see

i guess you guys think it is funny to lie and make fun huh.

thats ok i show you. just you wait  ;D
who lied?  youre the only one ive seen lying on this board......you finally admitted your true age...11.5........you admitted you dont have any $400 locos, they belong to your dad.  you keep apoligizing and saying ''i wont do it again'' and then turn around and start acting the fool....dude, if you ever want to be taken seriously you better cut out the kiddie games and stop lying, even if you are 11, its time to start growing up and acting like youve got some sense.

brad......ooooops!! :-[  sorry 'bout that!!    i just couldnt believe what i was reading!!!    but then again, desert storm was over and done before jr. was even born! so i guess maybe he doesnt know anything about it.  lol

Nigel

Quote from: msowsun on March 16, 2007, 10:39:40 PM
http://www.daveswebshop.com/railcards_10.shtml

UNION PACIFIC 3593
An EMD SD45-2 was repainted in Desert Storm
camouflage colors in honor of Union Pacific's
66 employees that served in active duty. 3593
was released from the North Little Rock Shops
on February 27, 1991, for service throughout the
railroad's nineteen state system. On August 19,
1991, the locomotive was seen at Portland, Ore.
The "Desert Victory" colors disappeared on Oc-
tober 10, 1991, in favor of UP's traditional ar-
mour yellow.

It is a SD40-2, the UP did not have any SD45-2, other than the SD45T-2 inherited from SP.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Jim Banner

Thanks, lanny.  I am glad to see someone shares my slightly warpped sense of humour.  I was wonder if anyone would catch the "silicon ore" bit.  Silicon, the basis for all our wonderful modern electronics, comes from common sand, which they do have plenty of in Iraq.

And HOplasserem80c, don't be too upset with us.  The idea of a railroad in the heat and shifting sands of Iraq kind of tickled our collective funny bones.  Nobody lied to you.  Teased a little, maybe, but not lied.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

r.cprmier

What sounds interesting is the aspect of an SD-45-2 pulling a 100-car trainload of king tigers anywhere.  Hmmmmmmmm...a wink and a flash of the good ol' "Honest Abe" tie.....lets be ever mindful of those 18-inch radii, boys...

For all  who are unititiated, the honest Abe tie was advertised in "True" man's mag many years ago; sold presumably, as a gift for those who toy so carelessly with the truth... Ah, the good old  days...

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

HOplasserem80c

just so all of you know it is called desert victory