News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power loss on 4 year old set

Started by wsommariva, December 08, 2008, 02:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

I have looked at all you have done so far, and to me the biggest clue is the fact that your voltage is about 16 all the way around and the speed remains constant.   There is nothing wrong with your locomotive!!

I do not know the rated output voltage of the Bacxhmann Power pack you have.  If it is the one that plugs directly into wall with wires going to the speed controller the rated output voltage is printed somewhere on the power supply.  If the rated output is more than16 volts this could be a sign that the power supply is going bad.  So I would keep an eye on that rather than the loco. 

My non-Bachmann power supplies put out about 22volts.  The loco really flies at 22 volts and I don't feel comfortable at that speed. Looking at my voltmeter I find that a more realistic top speed for me is at about 14 volts. 

If you must have more speed it it time to get a better power pack,  if not enjoy what you have!!

Cheers
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Barry BBT

Loco Bill and Joe Satnik;

Nice work, both of you.  I am admiring you patience and your instructions.  Plus you have a good user. 

Well done.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

wsommariva

Yes I agree.  I received very good instruction and I am very grateful.  I just checked the controller and it says 16v ac input.  As this is a holiday item, I am ok with the speed.  Maybe down the road if we decide to expand, I'll get a more powerful power supply. 

Once again I thank everyone who has responded; I learned alot about my train, learned some diagnostic tools and met some nice people.

Bill