News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Eastern Narrow Gauge Time

Started by Dusten Barefoot, March 16, 2007, 07:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

Dusten,

I cannot tell by your sentence structure if you want to share ideas or are looking for ideas for scenery etc.
      Assuming you are looking for advice,  then mine would be to get the Woodland Scenics Scenery manual.  It is between $10-12 and makes things very easy to understand.   Another suggest,  in the scenery world,  practice anything you have never done before,  off you layout.   If you have not done ballesting of track,  get a piece of scrap wood and track and play with that.  Same would go for mountains,  tunnels etc.  You can make your tunnel portals out of cardboard for the practice.   
      Scenery is something that I have gotten into in the past five years with the help of a good friend.  Greg loves scenery more than any other part of model railroading and working with him for just a short time helped me to learn quickly and now I basically work by myself.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

ebtbob

Dusten,

Here is a picture taken from HO/HOn3 railroad.   I would have liked to show you scenery from my On30 railroad,  but nothing is started yet.  This type of scenery can be learned it a very short period of time.  Just try to find someone who knows what they are doing.   The actually forming of the trees and rocks,  etc is a quick learning curve.   

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

kenruof

For some reason this scene look familiar.

Just saying Hey Bob from VA
Ken

Spule 4

Quote from: glennk28 on April 07, 2007, 08:55:09 PM
I was going to open a new topic but you guys already started it-  Wha I would like to see Bachmann make in On30 (I'll buy several and re-gauge them) is the ET&WNC piggyback car that they did in G Scale some years back.  That ought to be an easy one since the design work is already in-house.  gj

Or build one, they are simple enough.  George Gilbert did an article on them in RMC back in the 1990s, HOn3, but the techniques would be the same. 

EDIT:

http://index.mrmag.com/tm.exe?opt=I&MAG=RMC&MO=10&YR=1994&output=3&sort=A

EDIT 2.0:

http://index.mrmag.com/tm.exe?opt=I&MAG=NGSL&MO=5&YR=2000&output=3&sort=A
Garrett

ebtnut

I see from Railway Preservation's site that the book, "Little, Old and Slow" has been republished by the Railway Museum of Pennsylvania.  This is a history of the Lancaster, Oxford and Southern RR, an early narrow gauge in southeastern Pennsylvania.  There are still a few traces of the road to be found, long after its 1919 abandonment.  This includes the gas-mechanical car that the Strasburg RR occasionally operates for charters.  The car was built by the LO&S to narrow gauge, then went the Grasse Valley RR in New York where it was standard-gauged. 

Dusten Barefoot

I have drawn scale models of coal fired steam powerd models for On30. As you gussed it is of the Ten-Wheeler. These trains are planned to operate under a half a pound of psi, also I have attempted to build one of the models and just about succeded with it; guss what? The backhead blew of the boiler under a pound of psi and almost hit my dad's Triumph Spitfire. I really need help building it but I do not have the matirials to build it with. I used pluming fictures and copper sheets to form the back head and the front smoke box.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Dusten Barefoot

Does anyone have any news on Tweetsie Railroad? I have heard that they are playin the cards right and wont have to relocate.It'll be sad to see the the railroad relocate or dissapear. :'(
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

ebtnut

I just saw that Tweetsie has gotten a agreement to allow them to operate at least through 2010.  Beyond that things are still up in the air. 

Re:  Live Steam.  That is not something to take on lightly.  Even at low (say 20-25 lb. pressure) you still have a rolling explosive device.  Boilers must be built to withstand at least 50% more than the anticipated operating pressure.  All seams have to be sealed either by welding or silver soldering.  Regular solder will melt at operating temperatures.  On30 is probably too small to do live steam well (though the OO model from Britain shows it can be done with a lot of engineering).  For live steam, I'd stick to Large scale models or bigger.

Dusten Barefoot

LOL. I melted the back head on by sweating it together, also the engine was leaking and whell the thing blew the back head off becaues I have not got the parts right now to put the injector in. I have got the drawings.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Dusten Barefoot

I think that the hoppers should carry ethier the ET&WNC road name or the Craneberry Mines road name also I think the rolling stock should carry the Linville RR and ET&WNC and the Doe River Gordge road names.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Dusten Barefoot

B-Mann
Here are the specks for the 10-Wheeler!
Spec number:    C-4169
                 Type:    10-26D332
            Cylinders:    16x22
      Boiler diameter:    54", extended wagon top boiler
   Firebox dimensions:    95 15/16" long x 23 3/8" wide
                Flues:    188 flue tubes, 2" diameter, 12' 1 3/4" long
      Heating surface:    116 square feet
           Grate area:    15.5 square feet
Ratio to heat surface:    1/84
            Wheelbase:    driving 10'
                          Total engine 19' 6"
                          Engine and tender 46'
    Weight on drivers:    80,050 lbs
    Wt on front truck:    18,750 lbs
        Engine weight:    98,800 lbs
        Tender weight:    60,000 lbs loaded
        Coal capacity:    4 tons
       Water capacity:    3,000 gallons
      Tractive effort:    19,100 lbs
    Ratio of Adhesion:    4.2
This is all from the Johnson City Depot at www.johnsoncitydepot.com
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Spule 4

Quote from: Dusten on May 08, 2007, 09:09:03 PM
LOL. I melted the back head on by sweating it together, also the engine was leaking and whell the thing blew the back head off becaues I have not got the parts right now to put the injector in. I have got the drawings.

NEVER first test a boiler under steam, pressurize it with water (no spectacular failures) and then maybe compressed air.  I assume you are using a hard (silver) solder, regular plumbing stuff will melt if hit by flame even from alcohol, nevermind gas or coal.  I have found that MAPP gas is the best for this, just used some for the superheater on a pot boiler loco here.

Having onwed and been around small scale live steamers, I am really interested in this miniature coal fired loco. 

Where do you stand on the chassis?  Got one running under compressed air?  Photos?
Garrett

amdaylight

Quote from: Dusten on May 08, 2007, 09:09:03 PM
Remember the big bang is not a theory when it comes to live steam :o :o.

Andre'

Dusten Barefoot

The plubming fictures are brass, the loco was fired under charcoal soaked in some lighter fluied and I put a serenge full of water in the boiler and then screwed the brass cab on. I sweat welded the backhead on and the smoke box, also it had copper tubes in for the smoke flues. It got hot enough to boil the water into steam but sadly I have not got the injector built and I don't have the micro chips for the rest of the functions, as well I have not built the pistons or the throttle and reverser. Then BOOM! :'( ??? ::) ;D
By the way most of the drawings are secret as well as how and what iI am using, I told you just abou 1% of what is being built. This is pretty advance for a 15 year old. 8) :-X
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Spule 4

Quote from: Dusten on May 11, 2007, 10:51:22 AM
The plubming fictures are brass, the loco was fired under charcoal soaked in some lighter fluied and I put a serenge full of water in the boiler and then screwed the brass cab on. I sweat welded the backhead on and the smoke box, also it had copper tubes in for the smoke flues. It got hot enough to boil the water into steam but sadly I have not got the injector built and I don't have the micro chips for the rest of the functions, as well I have not built the pistons or the throttle and reverser. Then BOOM! :'( ??? ::) ;D
By the way most of the drawings are secret as well as how and what iI am using, I told you just abou 1% of what is being built. This is pretty advance for a 15 year old. 8) :-X

So it has an internal fire box and flues, in On30, fired with charcoal?  How are you drafting it?  Mechanical or steam?

I had my first live steam models around the age of ten many years ago.... 
Garrett