News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1800s Rolling Stock?

Started by CNE Runner, December 09, 2008, 11:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I've been following the thread, but haven't posted.
My passion has always been HO 1800's model railroading but my passion has waned.
I'm pleased to see the number of others who like the old stuff.
I'm still undecided whether to try another old time layout when I take down the Christmas one. I never really finished the last one when I converted to the multi-scale Christmas theme.
The trouble is, I can't bring myself to trash the Christmas layout after all the work.  >:(
Feel like a Mogul.

CNE Runner

Good morning Bob...'glad I could make your day...I meant every word of my statement (would a retired psychologist lie?). I only have two questions: 1) do you have a watch dog and, 2) is your house equipped with an alarm? Yes, let me know what you are going to do with those cars. I, also, frequently buy rolling stock that is decorated for a foreign road. Usually (on a wood-sided car) a lttle light sanding and I can overpaint/decorate. For some reason, the kit manufacturers have missed decorating some of their offerings for the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut RR or the (later) Central New England RR...probably just an oversight. I guess it will be up to Bachmann to "fill in the void".

I wish you lived closer to Alabama as being a "lone wolf" gets kind of lonely from time to time. I am running out of people to whom I can tell lies (the cats know my tales and ignore them). I am not a club person; but it sure would be fun to co-operate with another fanatic once in a while. With our proposed [Fall 2009] move to bring my layout from the garage into the house; I will be in 7th heaven! As it stands, I can only run trains for a very short percentage of the year (mainly Spring and Fall as the summers get too hot and the winters too cold...OK you northern readers...I can hear you laughing). I guess this gives me lots of time to build and armchair plan...and occasionally do some housework.

Keep 'em rolling rolling and my email is on the profile page,

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

CNE Runner

Welcome aboard Terry...'wonderful to meet you and don't be a stranger! Actually it doesn't matter what era you model because there is something to learn and enjoy in all of them. My Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut layout is loosely modeled on a real short-line that ran from the late 1870s through 1906 when it was absorbed into the Central New England RR (hence my screen name...a "runner" was the 19th century name for a locomotive engineer). Given my space/location constraints, I have had to play with history more than a little (I should have put "loosely" in italics, in the preceding sentence, as I take frequent liberties with the real N.D.& C.

I understand your reticence in trashing the Christmas layout. All is not lost as you must have learned something in the building process - if it was only NOT to do the same thing again. A little secret: in the 40+ years I have been involved in model railroading, I have only completed ONE layout (if a layout is ever considered "completed"). While a little expensive, beginning anew gives us the chance to wipe the slate clean and profit from our past mistakes.

In summary, I say go for it! Open up the checkbook and buy a Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 (assuming you still harbor an interest in 19th century railroading). If you don't have DCC - purchase a beginning set up like Bachmann's or MRC (which I use)...you can always upgrade later. There are still lots of MDC/Roundhouse kits out there begging to be built. Keep your first layout simple; but with the ability to expand. And most important of all: keep asking and contributing to the forums. All of us that post are here to help, support, and want you to ask questions. None of us has all the knowledge available - but together we just about have it all covered. I recommend this forum and the Model Railroader forum (you do subscribe to MR don't you?). Honestly, I have shared with the nicest folks on these forums.

OK buddy...start planning that layout!! Feel free to contact me off-line.

Ray

Terry Toenges

Ray - Thanks for the welcome. I've been around for a little while.
I've got more old time Bachmann rolling stock and locos than I know what to do with, along with the other brands like Mantua and Roundhouse.
I'm more RTR and watch them run as opposed to building them and lots of switching.
I've got a half dozen kit bash/scratch build projects that I started before my heart attack (with temporary amnesia) that are still sitting on a desk. I can't remember what I was doing with them.
My problem it that I have too many interests and can't stay interested in any one thing for a long time. Besides the RR, I've got a T-Bucket that is apart and I work on off and on and I own two music publishing companies. I spend a lot of time in front of the tube, watching Westerns and news mostly. I'm also getting disability as a Viet-vet and was involved in Vet activities for quite a while.
If I was a kid, they would probably say I have ADD.
Feel like a Mogul.

CNE Runner

Terry...it sounds like you are a man of many talents. The old Bachmann and Mantua cars (I will assume they are 19th century models) can be made into fairly good looking rolling stock. The Mantua cars can have magnetic couplers installed - after you cut off the truck mounted units. These cars just need a little paint (especially on those ugly door tracks) and some weathering. I also only run metal wheels; so I replace the plastic wheel sets with Kadee ribbed-back wheel sets for smoother running (ribbed-back wheels are the correct ones for 19th century models). Bachmann gondolas can be repainted/decorated for your road and the "wood" sideboards can be distressed with a file to show wear. Again, some weathering makes all the difference. You will also have to cut off the truck-mounted couplers and replace the plastic wheels. BTW: what is the name of your [proposed] railroad? What will be its purpose? Think about it.

Your lack of commitment to any one interest may be age related - or as a result of your Vietnam experience...I am too far away and haven't spoken long enough with you to tell. It is possible that you may have a touch, or a residual level, of ADD. I have read a couple of Psych Journal articles that show some research into the areana of adult ADD. Don't worry about it too much as I have been involved in numerous interests and look at me now...wait a minute that didn't come out right.

Perhaps you could prioritize your interests. For example spend a portion of the year working on your T-bucket. When you attentions wanes, do something with your model railroad. Don't spend so much time on any one project that you begin to marginalize your efforts...diversify. Ah ha!! Your are a musician? OK, how interesting would music be if you only listened to/learned/played five or six songs? I would imagine your instrument would soon be gathering dust. Model railroading, building a T-bucket rod, or anything similar are HOBBIES...you do them when you want. These interests are your stress relievers...not your vocation. For what it is worth, you seem to be a very interesting person...definitely not boring! Go with the flow - but remember even the flow has to stay within the banks.

The longest journey begins with the first step. OK, one step at a  time: walk around your living area (house?, apartment? cave?) and see where - and how large a layout you can have that makes sense. Be careful...the larger the layout - the more expensive the project and the greater the commitment - KISS principle. Don't tell us you don't have any space for a train layout...hanging or folding in the garage?..on wheels under the bed?...a small shelf layout...there are lots of places to play. The English are extremely resourceful, with layout locations/space, partly due to the small size of their homes. If they can do it so can you.

It would really help if you could get a buddy involved in benchwork construction (besides you need someone to lie to). This is usually the step that is easier with another set of hands. Maybe you know someone who doesn't like trains (sicko); but is interested - and somewhat skilled with woodworking? You were involved in Vet activities? You must know someone who would give you a hand...if only to get out of the house (theirs not necessarily yours)...pizza usually attracts willing hands.

Terry, you can do this. How about starting off with a small shelf layout? There are some websites that have plans for such a project. Keep it simple: use EZ-track and have a couple of spurs for switching (watching trains chase their tails gets very boring - very fast). Kalmbach Publishing and Atlas Tool Company (makers of Atlas rr products) have produced numerous track plan books. Go to the next model railroad show and get enthused. Part of my current layout is the Timesaver Route originated by John Allen...basically a switching (or shunting) problem. Need more information? Google "Shunting Puzzles" as there is an English website that explains the concept and gives some layout plans. YouTube.com has a series of video "lessons" on laying and weathering flex track that are interesting and informative.

Please come back to the forum, on a regular basis, if only to let us know how you are doing. Whether you realize it or not you have taken the first step in the process by posting. The hobby needs you as much as you need the hobby.

I'm going to hold you to it...
Ray

Terry Toenges

Ray,
I've been a man of many jobs, too.  This is from my Myspace page -
Retired veteran 18 years Marine Corps. Most of it inactive reserves. 1968-1974 1983-1995 Vietnam vet. Own Far Fetched Music and Pond Tunes - Black Oak Arkansas music from the 70's. Worked at the UN for almost 4 years. I've been an - ice cream jeep driver (ding dong) - carnival ride assembler and operator - catering company delivery - mail boy - Marine rifleman - machinegunner - radioman - fire team leader - squad leader - grenadier - 3.5 rocker launcher gunner - point man - store detective - UN security - amateur drag racer - shade tree mechanic - lumberjack - off bear - houseman - fiberglass worker on kiddy rides - night housekeeper - dish washer - boat mechanic - boat dock builder - mushroom picker - material handler - driving instructor - lawn care foreman - wood stripping company owner - real estate salesman - Marine Reservist - veteran's employment counselor - 1st baseman for a softball team for 8 years - college student - p.r. person - file clerk - newspaper reporter - newsletter editor - Vet's org. President - copyright owner - Still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up.
Most of the time I'd get bored an quit.
I'm sure Vietnam has something to do with my problem.
During my time in The Corps, I've - been shot at, knocked unconscious by a grenade, had a rocket round land in front of me and not go off, almost drowned crossing a river with a fully loaded pack, been robbed by South Vietnamese troops, had two kinds of malaria (vivax and falciparum) at the same time, pneumonia, VD, heat stroke, heat exhaustion, immersion feet, PTSD, and lost some best friends.
And that's just what I remember off the top of my head.
I did have a "layout in progress" (LIP) before I abandoned it and went for the multi-scale Christmas themed ovals.
The LIP before I abandoned it and started over -

The current layout -

Feel like a Mogul.

CNE Runner

I was right...you do have all kinds of experience. Judging from the image with the Atlas turntable, it appears you do possess the skills to produce a really nice layout. If you have the space, I would seriously consider building a [shelf?] layout that is grounded in the 1880s or 90s. It was a time of wooden cars and iron men ('got this from a poster on the MR forum...it is his signature). The major problem would be availability of rolling stock. Updating to the 1940s (or more) really opens up the options BUT will also increase the complexity (engine types, types of rolling stock, industries, vehicles, and signaling to name a few issues).

Regarding changing the layout in progress: I am working on plans to change some of the parts of the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut. I built a near-copy of the roundhouse the road used in the late 1800's, am scratch-building a model of one of the line's stations from that period; but something doesn't work. For one thing the roundhouse takes up too much layout real estate...an enginehouse would work better. Well...without going into details - I will probably tear up a portion of the layout when I move it in from the garage to the ex-guest room. See? The work is never done.

If you still harbor an interest in late 19th century railroading I would suggest you start "haunting" any train shows in your area. Usually the older Bachmann, Mantua, AHM, Poucher cars are readily available and go for good prices. Ebay's selection is pretty slim...and the prices can be outrageous. Hmmm, I see you were involved in being a lumberjack, wood stripping company owner and mushroom picker? How about a logging layout (with a few mushrooms for good measure)?

Keep thinking,
Ray

PS: I haven't tried to post images on this forum but check out some of my posts on the MR forums. I have the same screen name...'can't handle too many concepts at the same time.

Terry Toenges

I'm actually thinking about an L shaped logging layout in the corner.
I was in the process of scratch building the roundhouse when I took it down.
Feel like a Mogul.

richG

Removed. Info about other company products

Rich

CNE Runner

Rich, I checked out that website you suggested and all I can say is: thank you, thank you, thank you!! There is a ton of information and resources...all in one spot. I have never built a resin kit; but there is no time like the present to try.

Ray

richG

Hi Ray

Glad to help. I belong to a couple Yahoo old time groups just for the specific era information. This not to draw you away from the Bachmann forums which in themselves are specific. The groups are not as active as the Bachmann groups but still valuable if you like the "old time" era.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EarlyRail/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ER_Kits/

Look at the Files and Photos sections for more information.

Yahoo also has a Civiil War trains group which I left some time ago as it did not benefit me much. A Winans Camel 0-8-0 I bashed was the only item I had from 1850s. The rest of my stuff is about 1900.

Rich

Yampa Bob

If I can get a word in edgewise.... :D...I love this thread.  LOL

:P  :D  8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

CNE Runner

Bob: there is always room for your comments...they have been an invaluable resource to this modeler. Rich: I have seen your posts removed because you mentioned another manufacturer's products...is this against the rules? If so, I do understand as the cost of maintaining this excellent website/forum falls on Bachmann Trains. I guess this is the first time I have run into a removal for that purpose. C'est la vie.

Back on topic...has anyone seen those new Bachmann logging cars? The flat car with the stationary steam engine (I think it is called a "skidder") really interests me and would fit in nicely on my layout. Logging, and its related industries, were "major players" in upstate New York communities during the 19th century. Hmm, I might have to come up with a small sawmill.

Mentioning logging reminded me that cider mills were frequently found in communities throughout the Hudson Valley. I remember, as a kid, taking a tour through a local cider mill (sadly, it was torn down for a strip mall). It should be pointed out that the two major industries of the time were milk processing/shipping, and the transport of coal (in the 1860s through the 1880s much of this material was hand-shoveled onto and off gondolas...they produced MEN in those days). The old Bachmann gondolas make a good stand-in for these "coal" cars. I like to lightly sand off the road names (usually either U.P.R.R. or C.P.R.R.) then take a rather coarse file to "distress" the wooden side boards. When everything looks pleasantly "used", I then repaint the entire car...keep in mind most 19th century rolling stock was garbed in rather drab colors. After painting I then add my N.D.& C. lettering with either decals or dry transfer lettering. With a simple (relatively) change in couplers and wheel sets your have a rather nice model. While a gondola didn't carry much - it didn't take too many of them to tax the tractive power of an American 4-4-0...one of the reasons that the Consolidation came on the scene so fast.

Keep smiling,
Ray