News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Possible New Gearded Locomotive

Started by Frisco, December 18, 2008, 10:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frisco

Hi every-one, I thought that this locomotive looked really good and might make a really great model. It would fit the Bachmann theme as it was a Baldwin catalog locomotive (although only two were made). What does ever-one else think?

Linzthom

I think we would  rather have a HEISLER !!!!! :o :o :o :o oPPS...... I wonder if Mr Riley heard that.  Now where is the whip...............( for the horse. Dead one. Horse, I ment to say. Flogging  there of.)
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

Frisco

Tomcat

Heisler - BANG,BANG,BANG - hitting the ol´horse again...

There is nothing wrong with the pictured engine, it´s a bit off-typical for a Logger, but well... But I think that we are about to see another geared engine which should be a HEISLER - if one asks me.

Easiest way-take the Fn3-Scale Heisler and do it in On30, Bach-man. It´s a beauty.

Or - my first choice: Take a Westside Heisler No.3 - and keep in mind that this engine was regauged from a Standard Gauge loco. Wouldn´t this give yourself a good start into O-Scale 2-rail...?
Beeing a Std. Gauge Modeller too - this would make my day: Have Bach-Man Rolling Stock in 2-Rail O-Scale Std Gauge too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Cheers, Tom ;)

Mike_AA9ZY

ebtnut

Two things mitigate against the Baldwins--one, there were only two of that particular design built, and one of those was for export.  Two, it looks enough like a Climax that you might as well go with a genuine Climax.  Then there was the third geared loco try by Baldwin, which was a wacky take-off on a Shay.  See plans in the latest NG&SL Gazette for that beast. 

Yes, by all means, let's get an On30 Heisler underway (there's that beating sound again  :o).

Frisco

Quote from: ebtnut on December 19, 2008, 01:37:35 PM
Two, it looks enough like a Climax that you might as well go with a genuine Climax.  Then there was the third geared loco try by Baldwin, which was a wacky take-off on a Shay.  See plans in the latest NG&SL Gazette for that beast. 
Thanks I already have a picture of the weirded shay like locomotive.  I guese that is the reason that I like it is because the climax is my favorite gearded locomotive.

Tomcat

OK folks - just in the case I don´t say HEISLER one far day...
It´ll be when we see something new from Bachmann, which will be...
a...

H E I S L E R .... of course... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Cheers, Tom ;D ;D ;D

Tomcat

just a reminder....

HEISLER !
If its not a HEISLER - please let it be another HEISLER...

Cheers, Tom ;D ;D ;D

Hamish K

That Bapldwin is nice - but to me it seems more sensible to produce the major types of geared locomotives before producing the minor types. The major types are generally considered to be - Shay, Climax and Heisler. Bachmann make a Shay and a Climax, so a Heisler seems obvious. Alternatively a different Shay or Climax could be considered. Another maker has announced a 3 truck Shay, but a larger and more modern 2 truck than the existing Bachmann model would also be a possibility. With Cllimaxes a 3 truck could be considered, but these were rare in narrow gauge. Alternatively a class A Climax, quite a different locomotive, could be made. I have always liked these and would welcome a Bachmann model in ON30. However as no ON30 ready-to-run Heisler has been made, a Heisler would seem the logical choice for another ON30 geared locomotive.

Hamish

mmiller

Quote from: ebtnut on December 19, 2008, 01:37:35 PM
Two things mitigate against the Baldwins--one, there were only two of that particular design built, and one of those was for export.  Two, it looks enough like a Climax that you might as well go with a genuine Climax.  Then there was the third geared loco try by Baldwin, which was a wacky take-off on a Shay.  See plans in the latest NG&SL Gazette for that beast. 

Yes, by all means, let's get an On30 Heisler underway (there's that beating sound again  :o).

actually if one goes by Bachmann's track record in their On30 rod locos, the fact that the Baldwin pictured above is pretty nearly a one-off and exported are arguments in favor of it being produced, not against it ;D
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

Tomcat

Hamish -you´re right: A HEISLER should be in the Bachmann people´s minds to complete the series of typical Logging Engines.

And, if one asks me: A more modern Shay, mustn´t be a Three Truck, would be a great thing to have. Something like a 36 Tonner or a 38 Tonner like the Fn3 Ely Thomas No.6.
It could be that easy.

We´ll see. I´m sure, Lee Riley has lots of wonderful things
ready for us. Maybe, we will know a bit more in February 2009.

Happy Holidays to you guys out there!!!
Keep on the right track (which may be Narrow Gauge...) in 2009!

Cheers, Tom :) :) :)

darryl1936

I'm not beating that old deal horse any longer.  What ?  Yea !  Selling off all of the On30 stuff and started to use my old Lionel stuff. Might even invest in some Wiilliam stuff..   

The old fardt in very COLD Ore-Gun