News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Climax

Started by tac, December 19, 2008, 09:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tac

Afternoom, All - got a call this morning from a friend whose wife had bought him a 1/20.3 Climax many moons ago, and he had forgotten about it [!], and since I had one, could he bring it around and get it checked out before attemtpting to run it [wise move].

Turned out to be the same road-name as mine - Pardee & Curtin - so without delay, I upended it and took off the truck bottom covers.

Hmmmmmm  The inside of both trucks was liberally spread with a near solid white substance, and I MEAN near-solid.

I take it that that was the white grease that had gone totally mastic over the years, and set about removing every trace of it, a task that took me over two hours...

Got my Hob-e-Lube set out, and did a full lube job, top to bottom, front to back, and put her on the tracks for a gentle run.

Well, that was three hours ago, and it's still running in front of ten home-built log cars with wood logs.

What a beauty this loco was and is, and what a great shame that it has been deleted from the Bachmann catalogue.

I would not part with mine for a small fortune.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

darkdaniel100

The climax is a great looking have been trying to get one aswell as a lyn for sometime now ... and the new mallet *sighs*. Would be great if the climax were to make a return!

TJ-Lee

I too wish Bachmann would re-release the Climax. I'd like to have one to run along with my Shay.

TJ

az2rail

I have the same engine, but repainted to my personal road name. This is one great engine, and I would'nt mind having another.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

glennk28

Don't forget to replace the rear driveshaft if not done already--should have a slip joint near the rear truck to prevent stresses if the two motors don't run at exactly the same speed.  Call service for one. 

paintjockey

There was one at the ECLSTS last year, new in the box for $200. I still beat myself up for not buying it.

Loco Bill Canelos

There are some still around and as for the Lyn, it seems to show up on Ebay every other month or so. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

andyb

I managed to pick up a Pardee & Curtin Climax on ebay recently in very good little-run condition for £150 - apparently a good price for the UK? It goes very nicely with my Pardee Shay.

While looking for photos of the real thing on the Internet, I came across a reference (but no photo) to a Climax that was apparently owned by the Linville River Railway.

Is the Bachmann Climax close enough to be a passable rendering of the Linville Climax? If so can anyne tell me what colour the loco should be painted (unless black of course...  ;D ) and what the lettering would have looked like...

also a closer look at my Climax reveals a series of 'hooks' running along the left hand footplate. Can anyone tell me what these were for? Perhaps I have a pipe or cable missing?

Thanks in anticipation,

Andy

Thanks

az2rail

The hooks are to hold the siphon hose. Many times an engine could fill up with water by siphoning water from ponds and steams.

Look in the top of the packing, there may be a hose there.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

andyb

Thanks Bruce, had a look but it seems mine has gone AWOL

Is it something easily replaced? or perhaps substituted?

A

TJ-Lee

A,

Check out this thread on MLS for a very cool looking replacement for the siphon hose:

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/ForumArchives/tabid/100/Default.aspx?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=28447

See the post with pics by Richard Schmitt:

"The siphon hose was made using a fabric cord from a fabric store. I then inserted a length of solder into the middle of the fabric cord so the fabric could be bent over the hooks on the locomotive and stay to that shape."

Really looks great.

Best,
TJ
http://tjlee-turtlecreek.blogspot.com