News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-6-2 Mallet Has Arrived

Started by Jon D. Miller, December 19, 2008, 05:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Any suggestions on how to flip (where to grab a hold) the engine for lub, etc...so that the truck don't flop and damages themselves or other parts of the engine.   i just feel a bit awkward and wonder if someone has it down pat.  Thanks.

Jon D. Miller

Bob,

Set the Mallet in the bottom half of the clam shell.  Then place the top half of the clam shell over the engine.

Holding the clam shell together, turn the whole thing over.  Then remove the bottom half of the clam shell and you're in business.  This is how I've been turning the Mallet over and it has worked well so far.

On of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

darkdaniel100

Quote from: bob kaplan on January 01, 2009, 08:11:33 PM
Any suggestions on how to flip (where to grab a hold) the engine for lub, etc...so that the truck don't flop and damages themselves or other parts of the engine.   i just feel a bit awkward and wonder if someone has it down pat.  Thanks.

Glad im not the only one that finds it hard to move this loco about. The method Jon mentioned is probably the easiest!.

bob kaplan

Sounds good Jon, thanks for your insight.
bob

bob kaplan

As much as i was enjoying my mallett, i sent it back.  Unfortunately a couple of the brake hangers started to fall off.  Found them in the road bed.  i did not want to do the researh to see what does or did not keep them attached, so the engine was sent back.   Tis a nice engine...but this IS  disappointing.

morrisf

I'll bet some of you guys have trouble just opening the box the loco comes in.

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
The brake shoes are a press fit to facilitate replacement. A drop of white glue will secure them until you want to remove them.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Jon D. Miller

There seems to be some speculation, based on a "report" floating around on various LS sites, that the coupler swing could cause lead cars to be pulled off the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBbrfBAtxqc

Here's a not too good You Tube video of the 2-6-6-2T pulling 27 loads around a long curve, through a #6 switch and on to tangent track.  I'll have to make another video of the 2-6-6-2T pulling a consist through four 5' radius curves without any coupler problems.

Coupler swing is not an issue.  This based on a little over 30 hours of operation.  The 2-6-6-2T has handled cars on the main line and in a small yard without any problems due to coupler swing.  The switches in the yard are LGB 1600.

Interesting that the coupler speculation is just that.  None of the folks making reference to the couplers, as factory mounted, indicate they have a Mallet. Or if they do they have yet to put it into operation.  Would be informative if one of the "speculators" actually had a 2-6-6-2T to operate rather than their wild a-s guessing.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD

Kevin Strong

Jon,

Whose stock cars are those?

Later,

K

Jon D. Miller

Kevin,
I scratch built them.  Up scaled an example built by Kirke Fay in 1:22.5.  Kirke's cars were featured in a "how to" article published by LSOL.  The cars are 30' cars built to 1:20.3 scale.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD

CustomRCmodels

Hello Bach-Man
I just took some photos of my new 2-6-6-2 ,
maybe they are nice enought to be used in the photo-gallery ?

to see them full-size follow this link :
http://www.customrcmodels.com/Gardenrailroad/bachmanns_2_6_6_2_mallet.htm

Willy
CustomRCmodels
Willy
CustomRCmodels