News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann J611 norfolk and western

Started by whistlestop, March 17, 2007, 10:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whistlestop

I have a norfolk and western J611 class. Can you tell me from what year this is from, and has it been produced several times.I know nothing about it, any info would be helpful.

SteamGene

1.  What does the box look like?
2.  How does the tender and locomotive couple/mate?
3.  Does the locomotive and/or tender have a horn hook or a knucke coupler(s)?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Virginian

The best course of action would be to go on eBay and find one that looks EXACTLY like it.  Small differences mean a lot.  This locomotive has been produced several times, by several manufacturers, in differing era configurations.  Can't nail anything down without a lot more data.  Step one, look on the bottom for a name.
"What could have happened... did."

rallygsc

OH boy what fun

Tan or Brown Boxes 80's-90's

white box with blue details plus line 90's

black boxes that say spectrum newer stuff.

the older engines were glossy and some of the colors were incorrect, they had horn hook couplers.

the newer ones have a matte finish on them with better details and knuckle couplers,

the older ones were junk, sorry bachmann, most of the people who owned them bought repower kits for them, the newer ones are great from Bachmann.

take care

George

Virginian

The relatively current  Spectrum 611, excursion version I got (and subsequently changed the headlight lens in) is gloss finish as well.  The stripe color is off a bit (not really news), but it runs very well.
"What could have happened... did."

whistlestop

thanks for all of your help I am new to this board but seems like a helpful bunch.It is an 80s model then.

SteamGene

I'm afraid that you may not be real happy with that model.  The ones produced in the '80s are not normally very reliable.  I also understand from N&W fans that there are several inaccurate features to it.  Service may be able to help you out.  Call them on your dime. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rallygsc

Hello Everyone

I am sorry for bashing the 80's model, but there was a lot of problems with it.

the plastic sleeves that connect the drivers always cracked and break, this caused a lot of the drive wheels to either slip or pop off.

then the motors, Bachmann should have done what rivarossi did, use can style motors back then, not the pancake junk, they are hard to get parts for and a pain to repair.

the 80's ones are good for the bowser repower kit,

I own the spectrum ones and I love them, no complaints here, they are dcc ready, but I don't use dcc my layout isn't big enough in my opinion to use dcc.

take care
George