News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

amp and voltmeter and tinny connectors

Started by bob kaplan, January 20, 2009, 05:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Hi,
  (1) i have a voltmeter (20 volts) and ammeter (5 amps) permanantly wired into the layout.  They are many years old and from a company called NJ International...or something like that.  i tried to look the company up online and found them.  It seems, however, they no longer make the meters.  i would like to get something like them.  Does anyone have an idea of where something like them could be obtained.

(2)  My 0-4-0 has a bit of trouble traveling thru LGB's plastic frogs and so i have made a trailing "pick-up" car to help it receive current when the engine crosses the frog.   i would like to be able to disconnect the trailing car at times, can someone suggest a source of very small male/female connector kind of thing that i might use.  i have looked this up on Radioshack's cite and did was not successful and identifing anything i could use.

Thanks for the help.
   bob

Loco Bill Canelos

There are many possibilities but I like these.  Theyn are cheap & dependable.  I just paint the red wire black or use a sharpie instead of paint.  They only go together one way.

http://www.all-battery.com/apairofmaleandfemalehitecconnectorswith22awgwire.aspx
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bob kaplan

Thanks you Bill.  i will give them a try.
bob

Joe Satnik

More pickups are always better, but if all 4 wheels of your loco are picking up current, and its wheelbase is longer than the dead frog, you should sail through the turnout with no problems.

So, my advice: use an ohm-meter to check that both wheels on each side are connected. If not, fix the pickups.

The LGB point rails and closure rails should conduct electricity.  If they don't, here are George Schreyer's repair tips: 

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/lgb_1600.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

I think you are looking for analog panel meters.  So,

Google:    analog panel meters

They are also listed on ebay.

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

bob kaplan

Thanks Joe; the engine can end up with two wheels on the same side of the engine on the plastic of the frog, so when crawling along, it can hesitate under even good condtions.  when dirt is involved things sputter along.  The hint to check online for panel meters, was great.  Got me what i needs. Thanks.
bob