News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

280 white plastic gears cracked

Started by 77ron, December 28, 2008, 03:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

77ron

I have two of my fathers 280 steam engine  the white gears are cracked were the whele side in

taz-of-boyds

You will likely want to contact Bachmann service:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

There are a couple options on the above page.  Here is some other material that has been posted now and then:

"The number is (215)533-1600. Thanks! the Bach-man"

"I would certainly call first. Make sure you have your proof of purchase info, and ask for Bridget. Have  fun! the Bach-man"

"Try these phone numders: 800-356-3910 (if you live in USA or Canada) 215-533-1600 As far as I know, no one on this board has gotten anywhere with the toll-free number.  If you do not like sitting for a long time to talk to somebody, then use the 215-533-1600."

They may be busy for the holidays, if you have difficulty post again, and maybe the Bach-Man will give you another pointer...

Charles

brokemoto

Now people are aware of someone on this board who has had success with the 800-number, me.  In fact, I have used it more than once, but, it has been a while.

It sounds as if 77ron has two of the Standard Line 2-8-0s. Reading Company prototypes.  Those have been out of production for some time.  Be that as it may, taz-of-boyds recommendation is probably the one to follow.  It has been my experience that B-mann will do something for you and that it is at worst, reasonable; at best, a really gppd deal for the consumer.  You almost always come out on top when you deal with these guys; I have yet to come out with the short end of the stick.  They usually do more for me than I expected.

If they do send replacement gears, be prepared to have them crack, again. Many of these show this problem.  The gearing is not that bad in these things.  The weak points were the plastic used in the manufacturing of the gears, the electrical pick up and the motor.  I do not know if Bachpersonn has planned an upgrade for these.  They did upgrade the 4-8-4 and the 0-6-0 with good results.  I do not have the 4-8-4, as I do not buy big steam, anymore, but I do have the 0-6-0.  There is a tender upgrade available for the 0-6-0 that  I plan to buy.  The reports on the  4-8-4 have all been good.

There have been some improvements to the Standard Line.  The industrial switcher improvement is excellent.  Several  manufacturers sold this one over the years, Including Bachmann.  None of them have been much good until B-mann's latest appeared.  There has also been a new Fairbanks-Morse road switcher that appeared; definitely not your Daddy's Standard Line.  It runs nicely.  I understand that there have been other improvemnts to Standard Line equipment, but these are the only ones with which I have experience, or, in the case of the 4-8-4, in which I have a mild interest.

In the meantime, if you have not already done so, contact B-personn.  They will usually treat you better than you might expect.  They seem to like repeat customers and seem to be willing to go to great lengths to get them.