News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

H16-44

Started by brokemoto, February 04, 2007, 01:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokemoto

I bought the B&O version the other day.

Appearance:  looks pretty good.  One thing especially to  note is that the handrails are more dainty than one would expect on an 'inexpensive' locomotive.  In the past; handrails on inexpensive power; of ANY manufacture; appeared to be manufactured by the ClunkiFex Corporation.  the handrails on this one raise the bar for inexpensive power.  The paint and lettering are good.  The window frames are even silver; another raise of the bar for inexpensive power.  Even the fan grilles on the end of the long hood are much crisper than one would expect.

Runnability:  It requires extensive break in.  This is not a complaint; nor does it detract from my opinion of the locomotive; just something to note.  Extensive break-in periods are not atypical of B-personn power.  Still; it will hold a steady fifteen SMPH running either light or under load.  THIS is Standard Line Bachmann????????  Clearly it ain't the OLD B-mann Standard Line.  Whatever they did for the motor and gearing clearly raises the bar for inexpensive power.  Since mine is still in break-in; the mechanism will appear to bind; at times; but it quickly frees itself and continues to run.  Pullling power is somewhat less than I had hoped.  While it will pull ten boxcars; of various manufacture and a B-mann caboose; all on MT or AccuMate trucks; up a one per-cent grade at twenty-five SMPH; it would only pull eight loaded MT gondolas and the same
B-personn caboose up that same one-per-cent grade at the same twenty five SMPH.  I did not try more than ten boxcars.    Still; the pulling power is not enough to make me discommend this locomotive; on the contrary; I recommend it.

The chief complaint is the couplers.  The knuckle coupler will mate with the various knuckle couplers; but it sits too low.  If Mr. Bachpersonn would be good enough to ask his superiors to address this in subsequent releases.........  The other problem is that MT conversion will not be easy.  The MT 2004 will come to the proper height.  There are two panels on the underside of the shell between which will go a MT mounting screw.  It is a snug enough fit; initially; but eventually; it will wear out.  At that point (or even now) it will be necessary to glue the screw to one of the panels.

Overall; this is a pretty good locomotive.  It and the Model Power FP-7 make  excellent entry-level locomotives.  B-mann's advantage over the MP is the better construction methods.  MP's advantge is the better pulling power.  Either one runs well enough that should the neophyte decide to continue; he would retain either (or both)_ on his roster even though he has upgraded to more expensive power.  This runs well enough that experienced modllers would also buy it; especially since Bachmann is the only one that offers this in N scale (the Atlas represents an earlier model; the B-mann represents a different body style)

Overall; a good locomotive that I would recommend.  Keep it up and make some adjustments; this is a good sign.  The B&O had eight of these; three that appeared in 1955; five more added 1957.  The Atlas model represents a body style of which the B&O had only two.  B-mann puts only one road number on these; but they run well enough that I will buy another one and change the number.

(The comma key on this keyboard is not working; so I must use the semi-colon in its place)

ben_not_benny

I might get one in CP colors, does it have a 5 pole motor?

Franz T

I have 2 of them and I am very impressed. Especially by the handrails. The lettering is also crisp and the detail is at least as good as the Spectrum locos of a few years ago. It definitely raises the bar on inexpensive diesels. I haven't fully broken them in yet, but so far I am very satisfied with them.
I also have two Atlas H16-44's, their detail and lettering is a little better, but not enough to really make a difference unless you are using a magnifying glass. Not to mention that they cost twice as much. Plus they have those silly red/green directional "marker lights", which I have not yet figured out how to get rid off.
Overall, excellent job on these, Bachmann!!

Franz T

ben_not_benny

Are Bachmann H16-44's Phase I or II?

James in FL

brokemoto

Have you had opportunity to pop the shell and investigate the root cause of the binding mechanism?
Is the cause design or assembly?

TIA

brokemoto

The Atlas are earlier phase; the Bachmann; later.

In most cases; the phase distinctions on Electro-Motive; General Electric and ALCo power are more subtle.  In many cases on Baldwin and Faribanks-Morse; there are major differences.

Earlier phase F-3s had higher fan shrouds; later had very low shrouds; if any.

The earlier phase FM H16-44s had narrower hoods and wider radiator sections; the later had wider hoods and a noticeably different fan arrangement.  Later phase Baldwin babyfaces had shark bodies.

I have not popped the shell.  I do understand that you must be careful; as there is something affixed either to the power chassis or the shell that breaks off if you are not careful.  Many have wondered if the shell will fit the Atlas chassis; but truly; that is not necessary.  The B-personn mechanism runs acceptably.  I have no plans to do a test fit; although I must admit that if I do have occasion to pop the shell in the future; I will most likely test fit it out of curiosity.

The binding is probably due to a stiff mechanism that requires more break-in time.  As I run it more; the binding becomes less frequent.  B-mann power tends to require extensive running-in.  This is not a complaint; it is more an observation.

daniel_leavitt2000

This is a very good engine. I think this one came out a little better then the B23-7, but that may be due to the fact I was compairing the $50 engine to the $100 atlas counterpart.

ben_not_benny

Thanks for the replies everyone.

brokemoto

Oh Mr. Bach-Man!?!?!

Someone forgot to do his HW on the B&O version of this one.  Either that or something went wrong in China; either they did not get the instructions correctly or someone did not give them the correct instructions.

The road number on the B&O is not correct.  No B&O H-16-44 had road number 928.  That series had numbers 925, 926 and 927.  The unit that B-mann issued has road number 928.  This is incorrect.  Please have this corrected  if Bachpersonn does this scheme in subsequent runs.

Other than that, it is a pretty good locomotive.  I did not notice this error at first, even though I posted road numbers on various places on the internet.  A Western Maryland nut noticed it.  He is posting very detailed impressions of his unit on the A-Board, soooooooo if anyone wants more information, go there and look.

The Great Destroyer

Brokemoto,
I would leave it all factory.In my experience of years of action figure and toy collecting,any misprint or odity considers it a varient.I would put it up and by a new one.Usually in 5 years this will be worth 5-10 times the original value.Just a thought.
                            Destroyer.
P.S. I finally got to reply in one of your posts ;D
Quote from: brokemoto on March 09, 2007, 09:38:42 AM
Oh Mr. Bach-Man!?!?!

Someone forgot to do his HW on the B&O version of this one.  Either that or something went wrong in China; either they did not get the instructions correctly or someone did not give them the correct instructions.

The road number on the B&O is not correct.  No B&O H-16-44 had road number 928.  That series had numbers 925, 926 and 927.  The unit that B-mann issued has road number 928.  This is incorrect.  Please have this corrected  if Bachpersonn does this scheme in subsequent runs.

Other than that, it is a pretty good locomotive.  I did not notice this error at first, even though I posted road numbers on various places on the internet.  A Western Maryland nut noticed it.  He is posting very detailed impressions of his unit on the A-Board, soooooooo if anyone wants more information, go there and look.
"That moble suit is too much for any one man to handle,if he could,he would be superior to the entire human race."

GlennW

The Bachmann Little TM got a nice review in the May RMC. THe loco s/b capable of hauling 24 freight cars. Bachmann has a winner!

I doubt if any Bachmann locos are worth much on the collector's market. IMHO ebay & the Net have become 2 effective ways for a ELHS to move product. Some stores discount heavily or have "sales" to move product. Others may be a bit slower & have a bit longer shelf life. Rarity & scarcity are always important.

It's possible Bachmann's Spectrum models like the New J may help change Bachmann's standing in the hobby.