News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"The Conversion"

Started by Santa Fe buff, January 03, 2009, 09:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe buff

I'm slowly starting off my days as an active hobbyist. I finally have my layout board set up, and I have a fair roster of equipment at my disposal. I have yet to finish my cleaning job after I overloaded my friend GS-4 with MTH Proto-Smoke, but I'm willing to continue with my hobby. I'm currently working/brainstorming track plans and if I would rather work with half and half E-Z Track/Standard Track; All E-Z Track; or all Standard track. I'm leaning more to the option of half and half. I'm currently in a position to were I think I might consider an Illinois Central coal route instead of an ATSF/BNSF crossover coal route! I think I'll stay put with the ATSF/BNSF crossover, but plans do change. I'm currently working on obtaining further money to begin to replace my Steel Alloy E-Z Track with Nickel Silver. I've already purchased 4 9" Straight of Nickel Silver E-Z Track from our local hobby store, Hobby Lobby, for it was on sale. I've also made another great purchase in my eyes- I got some Woodland Scenics' Scenic Cement with Scenic Spray Bottle. I'm also painting a lot, I've finished painting the roof of my Atlas Station kit that wasn't up to my personal code.  ;) I'm also painting bland parts of a Life-Like kit for the "Home Coal Company" that will serve as my coal unload place. I've seen several coal loading docks that I've kept in mind, but until money provides; I'm limited to no purchases until further notice. 18" radii with 22" radii will be an option if I don't use much E-Z Track, for with my exiting siding taking up more width, I probably won't have enough room for both unless Standard Track is used. My dad and I are talking about buying me a 4'x8'x2" piece of crafting foam for my layout. (Time's toll is clearly visible on the edges) We also took a tragic loss just before we installed my layout. While on top of my dad's 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix, a piece of cardboard/drywall fell from the old roof the garage and crushed one house and all 12 of my power poles... Thank God they were all Life-Like! It's okay now, I have replacement Atlas power poles. (12 Count) I'm also painting them to look more realistic as well. I have several self-weather cars waiting while they dry upstairs. Right now, I'm currently enjoying the fact I'm no longer an "Armchair Modeler"... Instead, I've done the conversion into a world of 1:87.1th scale wonders... I love HO scale, and now, I'm going to experience it. I'm going to post up-dates here as well as information curious people may ask. Perhaps a picture or two.

Until then,
Josh
- Joshua Bauer

9911A E5

Sounds like your very happy to get your layout in your room.

9911a E5

Jhanecker2

To Santa Fe Buff :  There is nothing wrong with using different forms of track together . I'm considering using E-Z track for Mainline functions and Atlas for Yards , Terminals , and  secondary lines . No one line offers all functions  at a reasonable price . Then there is the concept of flex-track that allows much more variety that cannot be addressed with fixed sectional track. Wallow in the possibilties , this is a lifetime hobby after all , and everything is subject to change .  The change is up to you , it is your railroad .  Revel in the godlike  power of creation and enjoy .    John  II.

Santa Fe buff

Flex track is a big option for me. I have 10+ pieces of Atlas Code 100 Flex Track, and only one sectional right-hand switch.  I was going to use the E-Z track for the mainlines, and I was also thinking of using the Flex Track for an abandoned line next to the E-Z track. Or should I make this operable? Taking in that you said, "..., this is a lifetime hobby after all,..." does also effects me. I've had my layout in my room for about 5 days, and I don't even have track laid. After all, there are thousands of things and ideas I need to get and consider before that. I tried E-Z track on my layout, but with the bedding; It takes up a lot of needed space. I think I'll use E-Z track on certain areas, but I'll likely have to go with standard track if I want a double loop. I saw this track plan in a booklet I got with the December 2008 Model Railroader that shows quite a plan for a 4x8. I was considering it for it had 2 sidings and some other features I'll have to describe later after I review the booklet. Going back to flex track, it also helps I have a Track Radius tool, that way I'm not limited to the straight-aways being only a single piece when I will likely need switches/turnouts to go there. It will also help to prevent derailments on corners due to track spaces unevenly met or sectional track not connecting properly. The only two things I'm missing for using flex track is 1. a track cutter, and 2. track nails. I have joiners/cork/and a the radii tool you'll need. Probably the only Yard I would have would be a small dead-end yard that would hold limited amounts of cars. I will definitely use E-Z track, after all, the elevated track on the bedding easies the grade the train has to travel to get to height with the unload station. I'm also getting some Sand Paper out of the garage today (If possible) to sand down those pesky pre-cut Life-Like part's ends!

So far, it's going good. :)

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

Santa Fe buff

Excuse my bump.

I finally got my track plan done!

EDIT: It's all 22" Radii!

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

Pacific Northern

What happened to the 18" inner oval?  I would have thought you would have wanted the two ovals, the 22" for your main line, and the 18" for your yard/industrial areas for switching. Hence you could have run two engines at the same time.
Pacific Northern

Guilford Guy

Why the passenger car siding?
Alex

Santa Fe buff

Pacific Nothern,
I'm still considering it, but I'm not sure... I'll try it out.

GG,
Why not? I don't like to mix Amtrak cars with coal cars... ;)

Josh
- Joshua Bauer