News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Upgrade E-Z Command Set GP40 for sound?

Started by WnNB, January 03, 2009, 11:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WnNB

What is the best way to upgrade the GP40 locomotive sold with the E-Z Command Sets for sound?

the Bach-man

Dear Wn,
You'll need a sound decoder. Soundtraxx makes an excellent one.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Yampa Bob

Here is a listing of Soundtraxx sound decoders. However, please refer to my latest post below for more information.

http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?inc_subcat=1&manufacturers_id=1039&maxrow=50&Reset=Reset%21&sort=3a&page=2
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WnNB

Thanks, Yampa Bob for the specific reply.
I assume that the Tsunami decoder will replace my existing factory-installed decoder, right?
Are there add-on solutions that just add sound to the existing decoder?

I would be interested in the part numbers for the speaker and the snap-on baffle you mentioned.  This is very new to me -- I've never even taken the shell off the locomotive -- so any relevant information/help offered is appreciated.

WoundedBear

Quote from: WnNB on January 06, 2009, 10:18:37 PM

Have a look at Digitrax Soundbugs. They are plug'n'play for their 165 series of decoder, but can be hard wired in fairly easily.

Sid

Frisco

Quote from: WnNB on January 06, 2009, 10:18:37 PM

Yes, Soundtraxx makes them but I would recomend that you gust go all the way and get a Tsunami instead.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/products/dcc/dsx.htm

Running Bear

Question. I've looked under the shell of the Bachmann GP40. There's almost zero space there. Where are you gonna put the speaker?
Running Bear

Yampa Bob

Running Bear, and all.

I just talked to the sound installer at Caboose Hobbies. 

In order to install a sound decoder in a Bachmann GP40, a deep recess must be cut into the top metal casting with a milling machine to provide room for the decoder and speaker.  The recommended decoders are Micro-Tsunami or Digitrax, and must be hard wired.

To preserve the lights, the PC board must be cut apart, removing the center section, or secure new lights by some other means.  The technician said he has done several, but it's very expensive as the labor charge is $40 an hour. His final comment was, it is not a procedure that most modelers should attempt.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.