News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-4-0 tank Clementine

Started by Mike, January 04, 2009, 09:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

What can anyone tell me about the quality of the Clementine 0-4-0 tank engines. I have the opportunity to pick up three or four of them. Are they a sturdy engine? If not, are they a good base for building up a better engine? Any input welcomed. Thanks- Mike

Loco Bill Canelos

The Clemintine Mining 0-4-0 was only sold in set 90030 and The set was in the catalog in 1997 &1998.  The locomotives were never sold as a seperate item.  Since I have never owned one I cannot comment on them personally.   I have bee told that they were fair runners, but that the electrical contacts and wheels had to be kept very clean.  I was also told that they have a tendancy to stall on switches with a dead frog at slow speeds. 

That is all I have, but maybe someone with direct experience will chime in.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

rperego

I bought a used one that runs fine although the pickup can be a problem running slow over turnouts.  A simple solution is adding pickups from the first car back.  I only wish the LGB wheel sets could be had for less money.  Of the ones I've tried the LGBs are the best.

Mike

Thanks, guys. I guess I'll try them.- Mike

Paul W.

Mike,
They are great little runners. I have several that I picked up over the last couple years. With only having 4 pick up wheels, dirty track can be an issue, but nothing to the point where I would not run them. They are fun to weather into different stages of use. They show up from time to time on ebay as well as the cars from the set. It came with a red ore car and a yellow caboose.
I took one of mine to several open house's this past summer and ran with my kitbash MOW set. It got lots of compliments on how it looked and ran.
If you can get them, you won't be sorry.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

Peter O

I have to agree. I sold my old Porter, planning to get the newer 1:20 version for an easier DCC conversion. But then I heard about the pickup issues associated with the non-equalized chassis on the new Porter and abandoned the idea of getting one.

If you take reasonable care and don't overload it, you should be happy with the results.

mudzuks

I love these little guys they pull strong for their size. the three I have have not failed me I have not had the stalling at the frog problem but my layout is inside. if you decide you want to get rid of one  or all of them let me know.

Nathan

My Dad and I have had good luck with the old 0-4-0's.  I had one of the new style and do not think they are worth the price.  I would like to see the Big Hauler 0-4-0's back in production.

We put DCC in ours, it takes a little work, and I added a rear light to mine.  It is an LED inside a small plastic tube mounted under the roof overhang.