News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Where to start?

Started by BuddyL, January 05, 2009, 01:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddyL

I haven't had a working model train in over 40 years!  I know NOTHING about the new set-ups.  When last I modeled, all you needed was a train, some track and a speed controler.  What do I need to get started  and still be able to expand later.

jprince46

Basically not much has changed in getting started.  What has changed is the quality and variety of engines, rolling stock, etc.

Bachmann and Atlas both make train sets that can get you started - and both are expandable.

Santa Fe buff

You should go out and purchase several Model Railroader booklets to help you get back into the hobby. Plus, you would probably like to invest in a Bachmann Spectrum or Standard Train Set of your liking. After that, you can expand. But you should probably start out with some plywood on legs for your layout. Model Railroader Magazine and the folks at Bachmann's Ask the Bachmann will get your on track!

Good Luck,
Josh
- Joshua Bauer

James Thomas

I would suggest you not buy a "set."  Go to a hobby shop (hopefull there is a good one reasonably close) and have the people there show you quality locomotives, power packs and track and then build your own set.  Most prepackaged sets don't have good products throughout.  Buy the largest radius curve track that will fit in your space.  Start simple so that you don't get overwhelmed and frustrated.  Expand at your own pace (and budget.)

Read as much as you can.

Good luck

BuddyL

I really appreciate the imput from everyone.  I still have some time to read up before commiting to a purchase as the funds won't be available until late spring at the earliest.  At least now, I have some idea of where to start. ;D
BTW, I have and old (1954) American Flyer that needs some repair work, has anyone got any ideas where I can get parts or a reputable repair service?