News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler issue

Started by stevenlindeman, January 05, 2009, 12:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevenlindeman

My son received some new HO train cars for Christmas but the couplers are not compatible with his current train.  The new coupler style is an EZ Mate.  The old ones are horn-hook(?) style couplers.  I am trying to figure out what to do to make it work.  My first idea was to swap couplers on one old and one new car so the new cars could connect at that point.  That did not work because the new couplers are quite different in size and shape from the old couplers and will not fit on the old wheel trucks.  The new cars are also body mounted couplers whereas the old ones have the couplers on the trucks.  I am open to replacing all the old couplers so they are all alike but do not know what to purchase.  This must be a common problem for many with old and new train cars.  How should I best solve it?  Thanks.

Yampa Bob

Hi Steve,

Couplers are available to replace the truck mounted horn-hook types.  However, I recommend modifying or replacing the old trucks, and using body mount Kadee #148 couplers.

Please read the following thread for some ideas.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,4917.0.html
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

belairguy427

Steve:

A low cost work around is to just replace one of the couplers on a car from the Horn-Hook type to an EZ mate or Kadee type.
The easiest is to select a car that has body mounted couples and just replace one of those.
If body mounted the likley Kadee would be a #5 which are the most common and therfore should be in stock at your hobby shop.
Truck mounted couplers are less common and would likey need to be ordered.
(Sorry, I do not know the EZ mate body mount coupler#'s)
This gives a low cost and quick way he can then still run both his new and old cars together. As time allows you can then convert the remaining old cars as time and $'s permit

Jim

lmackattack

I think the guys have set you straight. if this is a small layout thats only used at Christmas then just convert one car to have both couplers this way you can string all of your cars to the train.

If its a permanat layout Now is the time to swap over all the cats to the McHenry plastic or Kadee metal brand. If these are truck mounted couplers Mchenry makes a replacement that clips right in to the truck pockets that your hook horns sit in. the Kadee brand is better but you have to body mount them witch takes some skill and time to install and get the, set to the correct hight. From here on in I would suggest buying cars that have the same couplers you chouse to use. any good hobby shop will likely have both brands of couplers in stock. Bring a car with you if you have questions about how they install

Len

Life-Like has a new knuckle coupler that's a direct replacement for the horn-hooks with a small mounting hole.

You can see a pic at: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/433-1436

Unfortunately, they're sold out until early March. Life-Like under estimated the demand, and the first production run sold out in two months.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.