Northern 4-8-4 steam from Empire Builder, DCC Capable?

Started by trekkie, March 19, 2007, 11:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trekkie

I have an Empire Builder set that I got back in 1998 that I bought as a 'meaning to start a layout with'

Well almost 10 years later I'm finally starting some work.   Of course DCC is now prominent and I've decided to wire the layout using Digitrax instead of the old methods.

Are these engines capable of being updated with a decoder?   i can't find anything anywhere about it.   Was curious if it was possible.

the Bach-man

Dear Trekkie,
Any loco can be converted. There are many sites with similar conversions documented, but, for general information, the Saskatoon Railroaders is a great place to start.
Live long and prosper!
the Bach-man

anoldrail

Hi Trekkie

I have converted 8 or 9 locomotives, all steam, from the 2-8-8-2, 2-6-6-2, 2-6-2, 4-6-4 etc. and the hardest is the 4-8-4 Northern.

I've just finished converting one of two J class 4-8-4's.  There is no room under the boiler cover for a board unless you mill of an awful lot of weight.  The best method I have found is to place the decoder, ( I used the DZ143) in the cab and cut a channel between the two frame halves.  Make sure you tape the motor off to prevent shavings from getting into the motor and causing a short.  This allows the wires to lay flat and not cause the boiler cover to ride high or scrape off the insulation.  Also cut a grove from the top of the frame to the opening for the motor.  Again this allows the Orange/Gray wires to lay flat without getting in the way of the cover or having the insulation scored.  Getting the brass contacts out of there is a real struggle.  I opened the halves as much as possible and pulled them out.  This way I could isolate the motor and not have to worry about accidental contacts and shorting out the decoder.  Also I used the liquid electrical tape to coat the light compartment on the nose to prevent frame contact and again a short.  I also used this to cover the contact points on the motor itself.  Soldering the red/black wires to the frame takes some work, as it is very hard to get the frame hot enough to just solder the wire.  I used the holes left over when I pulled out the original brass contacts and liquid solder.  I Had to let it set over night to cure after I ran tests for programmability, direction and speed control, and lighting.

Hope this helps a little, good luck on your conversion
Regards
Dick
Remember: Cornfield meets really mess up the corn