Why Do Hobby Shops Do This To People?

Started by rollndice83, January 08, 2009, 09:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangerover

Just let me say this. Your first mistake was to go into a hobby store with a Bachmann product or ask for Bachmann products. If it was an Atlas or BLI or even Stewert they would have welcomed you. Why does Bachmann have this still hanging over their heads as a toy product these days I'll never understand. I too am new coming back to this hobby about 5 years now and I am enjoying my Bachmann DCC sytem, simplest and easiest to use and understand. I bought at least 20 DCC locos, OK, I know that Atlas and BLI and Stewert are top of the line and I have several with DCC, and sound. But you can't beat the price of the Bachmann, never had a problem by the way with the decoders, only one toasted in the 5 years, Bachmann, and I run them every day. LOL, I even bought a new Athern with the fine detail, what a joke trying to put the details on it, I'm 64 and sight has gone, potato spuds for hands and fingers cause I worked in construction for most of my life, needless to say I made a mess of it, well just antoher  learning experience and would not buy another unless it was all together. I love Bachmann, take it out of the box, set it on the track and run it Analog or DCC, no muss no fuss. Their steam locos are beautiful and again no fuss, just a little oil on the rods and run. Hey if everybody bought Bachmann their prices would be as high as the top of the line.

Sorry for those who have had the bad experiences with hobby shops. I buy on line most now my nearest hobby shop is 120 mile round trip and they will trow you out if you ask for code 83 anything, LOL.  But I do recommend The Favorite Spot merchant on eBay, he is a Bachmann Man and sells explicitly Bachmann, he will take the time to talk to you on the phone too if you have problems. Highly recommend him.

Joe Satnik

Dear WGL,

Model Train Classics, Plus
306 S. Barstow (Downtown cross-street Grand)
Eau Claire WI 54701

(715) 838-8858

Bill and Charlie are helpful, friendly, knowledgeable and do repairs.  

Their shop is 95% model train related.

Worth the trip.  Gas is less than half what it was last summer.

Let me know when.  I'll come down there and say hi.  

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Guilford Guy

Quote from: gwfan on January 09, 2009, 12:12:35 PMExcellent service and helpful telephone manner from...Charles Ro....
I haven't been that lucky... The last time I shopped there I invested 500$ in F3AB+Hopper, and some HO freight and passenger equipment. The people in the store made it clear that "real trains" don't have freight cars and passenger cars in the same "real train." I now rely heavily of Maine Trains in Chelmsford Mass. The owner, and his son are Model Railroaders, and Railfans, with a very nicely detailed layout, (a masterpiece compared to some Hobby Shop layouts I've seen) and great service and products.

Trainboy Out.
Alex

Paul M.

Here we had a Hobbytown USA with a convenient location and hours, but higher prices and poor customer service. We also have a small LHS with short hours, an inconvenient location, but 20% off MSRP prices and great customer service.

Guess which one stayed in business?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

WGL

Thanks, Joe!  I'll make a note of your post.  I called Model Train Classics Plus last summer but have forgotten what I asked them.  Somehow, I got the impression, probably mistaken, that they didn't have much in HO.  Actually, they may be a few miles closer than the other shop, & the trip would cost half as much as last summer.

Perhaps we can meet at the Happy Grandparents Show here in Menomonie next April.

Bill Laine