Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Home projects

Started by Sodor Perfection, January 10, 2009, 01:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sodor Perfection

Here's my version of the red coaches:

Sodor Perfection

And here's my version of the brakedown cranes...

alex wittman

WOW that's really good, how did you make them? you should share some secrets with us.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Awesome work. Although the Breakdown Train's only half done and to complete the red coaches you'll need to make a third. ;)

Sodor Perfection

Thanks for you comments guys;

Red coaches were made from Annie and Clarabel wagons simply painted red. The rear of the back coach was made from studying stills from 'Close Shave' episode (the train James is pulling that Duck nearly crashes into). Making a template, (can post this if anybody is interested) printing it out on card, painting it the same red as the coaches and Bob's your uncle...

Some trimming here and there once it was stuck together but I think it looks okay.

The breakdown cranes were made from two Hornby 'Railroad' cranes chopped and changes to again resemble stills from the 'Thomas and the Breakdown Crane' episode. The crane arm is shortened and the original arm support truck bed is put to one side as it is not needed for this model. The cab is carefully taken apart again shortened by chopping off the back portion but this is used to create the inside of the winding mechanism. Whilst the cab is apart the centre two wheels are removed (as the series one only has four wheels.) Flat beds are made from truck wheel bases with some card board to hide the uneven top and the wheels. Then they are painted green weathered and are ready to run. The arms do have to be raised slightly and held in place otherwise they derail whilst going round coners.

Mainly winging it is what I do. I strive for Perfection which isn't always the case but all part of the process.

I see your point Zelda but I only had two coaches at the time but I'll get round to getting more just to build rolling stock numbers, and I need to find a suitable coach for the 'Works' wagon, to complete the ensemble.

Cheeky_ULP

YOU

NEW FAVORITE MODELLER

How'd you do the roofs!? I'm rather curious, and I didn't quite get how you did the details on the brake coach. I have 3 Clarabels and 1 Annie awaiting paint, mind sharing a secret? :P

Love the Breakdown Train as well.

Anthony P2

WOW! Splendid! How did u do the brake coach and the roof? They look soooooooo good! They r very acurate! Very nice. 10/10

Sodor Perfection

Right, you ready?
Here goes...

Roofs:

Get a piece of paper and cut it to the same size as the coach roof. Fold this in half length ways to get your centre line. Working from the edge of the piece of paper measure 13mm this is your first vent location, then measure from this point 27mm making this the second vent location, then another 27mm to the third vent and again another 27mm for the fourth and final position. Transfer these measurements to the coaches' roof.

The vents were made from cutting an uninterrupted (straight with no off chutes) sprue from a model kit and chopping it into 2.5mm lengths. This is done very carefully by putting the sprue on a flat surface and rolling a straight bladed scalpel back and forth on it until it cuts through. Be aware this takes a bit of force and once the plastic is ready to separate it does tend to want to ping across the room, be ready for this!!! Stick these into place and paint.

Brake coach:

Using the measurements from the stills takes from relevant episodes I made the below templates:

You may need to resize these as the copying may have distorted them hence the measurements. I find that Microsoft Publisher is the best to do this but it's up to you what you use. If you wish I can send you the original in Microsoft Publisher form to your e-mail address, just let me know.

After printing out the templates onto some stiff card cut out 'Part 1' and score with care where shown. Fold where you have scored the card and offer this up to the end of the coach (popping the roof off first) to ensure the sizing is correct, use the on screen rulers to help. Whilst the structure is still flat position the coach end onto the main elevation and trace the shape of the top of the coach allowing the card edge to follow the under side of the roof. Once the sizing is correct using super glue and run a small bead along the joining edges hold the joins in place keeping your fingers clear until dry. You may wish to create flaps to help you stick this together, up to you.
Cut out 'Part 2', once this is done very carefully remove the grey shaded areas producing the outline of the ridges. Score and fold carefully along the dotted lines on the 'wings' this ought to be done before removing the grey areas as tearing can occur. Once this is done offer them up to 'Part 1' to ensure they fit, if so glue into position and paint.

I used some of the clear plastic from my recent purchases from Bachmann to cut out window shapes. Paint the back of them grey and once dry stick them into place. The same is done with the front facing long windows on the 'wings' on 'Part 1'.

Hope you understand this okay I tend to over explain things.

Good luck, show me yours once done.

Guilford Guy

Invest in an aibrush. Your painting and weathering will look much better.
Alex

DealAjani

very well done. I like the weathering for the brakedown train, it looks very used. Will you be making the workman's coach to go along with the crane?

Sodor Perfection

Thank you. If I am able to find a suitable coach for the 'Works Unit' then yes, but I don't know if anybody has any ideas regarding the type I could use or where I could look to get some ideas? I might convert the hornby track cleaning coach into something that resembles the coach unit then.

ThomasFan247

Quote from: Sodor Perfection on January 12, 2009, 12:20:58 PM
Thank you. If I am able to find a suitable coach for the 'Works Unit' then yes, but I don't know if anybody has any ideas regarding the type I could use or where I could look to get some ideas? I might convert the hornby track cleaning coach into something that resembles the coach unit then.
For the 'Works Unit' coah you could use the Tomy model that comes with Harvey & modify it.

Diesel #261

Quote from: ThomasFan247 on January 14, 2009, 08:28:10 PM
For the 'Works Unit' coah you could use the Tomy model that comes with Harvey & modify it.

Using a toy!!! :P  What are you thinking TF247!?! :P
"Shaking and spluttering, the diesel stopped."

StanierJack

Quote from: Shawmut Railway on January 24, 2009, 02:00:56 PM

Along the right lines...

The sides from it can be used to bash a decent model. They work out roughly to scale in 4mm to the foot.

However, the rest is junk. :D

ThomasFan247

Quote from: Shawmut Railway on January 24, 2009, 02:00:56 PM

I'm thinking it would would work. Corrie used an ERTL Toad, Jack used a Tomy Henrietta, ERTL Ben, AND something else but I forget. I used an ERTL Henrietta (though it sucked (the finished model)). It's worked for lots of people.