News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-2 Light Moutain Loco

Started by ccooper, January 13, 2009, 03:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccooper

Last week I bought a Bachmann Spectrum N 4-8-2 Light Mountain Loco Item #81660. I noticed that this train is not as fast as my other Bachmann ( 4-4-0 Wildwest era B&O R.R ). I run both trains on the same track "NOT AT THE SAME TIME" and same controller. The tack and controller ( not DCC ) I bought as a set few months ago. Does this engine just run this slow or am I under powered or is there something wrong with the train.  FYI this is a great looking train.
Thanks,
Curtis

SteamGene

Just how slow is your locomotive (not train)?  The 4-8-2 design was for passenger, though many railroads ran them as freight locos as well.  It was fast and powerful. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ccooper

The 4-8-2 is about 1/2 the speed of the smaller 4-4-0.

Cascade Northern

The speed of a model locomotive is contolled by various things.  Here is a simple "check" list for you locomotives:
Amount of voltage - No, since both locomotive are getting the same amount of voltage.
Type of motor - Maybe, the motor on the 4-4-0 might have a higher rpm than the 4-8-2's motor.
Gear Ratio - Maybe, if the gears on one locomotive has a different ratio then the other locomotive, then one of them will run faster than the other.

richG

If the 4-4-0 is the old time loco with tender drive, it most probably will run faster than the 4-8-2. The 4-4-0 has a worm gear driven by the motor and connects to a gear on the driver. This type of loco usually runs quite fast for a model locomotive.

I have some 4-4-0s with tender drive and they want to run fast. Fortunately I installed DCC decoders and now I have much better control.

The 4-8-2 has a small pulley on the motor which has a belt that connects to a larger pulley. Some gear reduction.
The shaft the large pulley is on has a worm on it that connects to a worm gear on the driver axle. More gear reduction.

Overall, the 4-8-2 has more gear reduction than the 4-4-0.

Since both operate on DC by itself, I would say that is what is happening as there is no DCC involved.

Others may want to comment.

Rich

Yampa Bob

We have a little 4-4-0 we call "Wild Thing".  We haven't been able to check the speed, as it flies off the curves at more than half throttle.  8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

richG

I was able to improve my Bachmann by replacing the motor with a can motor used in the Mantua General. Also installed a Lenz LE077XF decoder and much better performance. Used Harold's idea for improving the Bachmann old time 4-4-0.

I picked up on sale some Lenz Silver Mini Silent-Back EMF decoders I am going to try in the three 4-4-0s I have. The decoders are good for 0.5 amp continuous.

Rich

ccooper

I would like to thank you all for your information and help. This is a new adventure for me so I will probably need your help again and I promiss I will never call a locomotive a train again.
Thanks
Curtis