News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Command

Started by ksclvr, January 10, 2009, 03:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksclvr

Hello everyone,
I, after 4 years without my collection (silly ex) I'm back in the game! Loving it all over again. I have a issue with my newly purchased Bachmann E-Z Command. Is there anything else to do to reset it? I have all the connections as per the dvd and instructions, but it dose not power up. Is this a known issue with some products? Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg

Yampa Bob

Hi Greg,

Please don't think I'm a wiseguy, but are you sure the 110 volt AC wall receptacle is working?  Check it with a lamp or other appliance.

Unplug the wall wart power supply from the wall, remove all locomotives from the track, remove the track connection cable, make sure the small power supply plug is inserted fully in the top of the unit, then plug the power supply back into the wall. 

If the controller is functional, 3 lights will be on steadily.  One below the stop button, the forward indicator light, and the #1 address light.  If nothing lights up, you might had a dud controller.

If it lights up, unplug the power supply from the wall, reconnect the track plug in top of the controller, and plug the power supply back into the wall.  Do you still have the 3 lights?  If the light below the stop button is blinking, you have a short somewhere around the track.

Do these checks, then let us know what happens.

NOTE:  Always turn power to the EZ Command controller OFF before placing or removing a locomotive.  Best way is to buy a switch controlled power strip (similar to a computer surge protector).  Plug the power strip into the wall, and the wall wart into the strip.  Then you can conveniently turn power on and off. Failure to do this may result in shorts and/or loss of address, and possible decoder damage.  Also follow the initial connection sequence indicated in the manual. (The 110 volt connection must be the last.)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ksclvr

Outlet checked, was just running the break in on a new dcc engine. Realized today that my three older ones are in fact dcc and have been running them with a plain bachmann dc controller. I have tried the steps again, and even with a different 120/16v ac power supply. Still no lights or any other indication of power. I have noticed that the supplied power pack gets warm to the touch after ten minuets or so, even if it is not plugged into the controller. Not sure if that is normal for the power supply or not. So a dud, either power supply or controller....hmmm  Any other suggestions, yes support emailed and I will be calling on Monday to see if they have ideas as well. Thanks again.

Yampa Bob

If you have a voltmeter, check for 16V AC at the small plug.  Every modeler should have an inexpensive digital multimeter (DMM) for troubleshooting.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90899

The 16V power supply is a step down transformer, so it will get a little warm when plugged into the wall. If it feels uncomfortably warm, it may have a problem.

I can't think of anything else for now, my first EZ Command went out after only 2 days, service replaced it promptly, no further problems. I since bought another one for backup just in case. A day without running my trains is like a day without sunshine.  8)

Good luck
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ksclvr

Quote from: Yampa Bob on January 11, 2009, 12:18:15 AM
A day without running my trains is like a day without sunshine.  8)
Good luck

Checked voltage from power supply, steady at 16.87 Vac. Transformer isn't uncomfortably hot. Waiting for reply from service department, and looking for box to mail in the controller. Thanks again....