News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Modifying a Grandt On3 Bobber to On30

Started by ppowell, March 19, 2007, 11:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppowell

I am now building a Grandt On3 Bobber kit to use with my Bachmann freight equipment. Your several replies to my original questions have been very helpful. I now have two questions. First-which E-Z coupler would be best to use for this modification? Second-which size NWSL On30 wheels {18" or 20"}would make the coupler height adjustment easier?

Thanks for your help
ppowell

C.P.R.R. Manager

I can't give you an exact answer, but I do recall that the height of an On30 coupler on Bachmann trains is at HO height, which is lower than the standard On3 height.  The Grandt Line caboose is built to On3 standards, so the coupler pocket that is built in to the kit is too high for On30.  On my caboose, I ended up mounting a new Kadee coupler pocket to the bottom of the existing coupler pocket.  I think you will need to test fit it, to see what works best.

Sherwood

I see on the NWSL numbers 37891-4 and 37892-4 for 24" and 26" replacement wheels for Grandt Line On3 to On30 conversions -- are these the right ones, and which might be a better choice for the C&S bobber?

Also, is there an on line hobby store that stocks these details or do I need to go direct to NWSL?  I checked some obvious ones including Walthers, and they don't have these listed, and Walthers is my local hobby shop distributor too.  Typically for a small item like this I might wait until I need to order a few other things that would make the shipping more worthwhile.

Woody Elmore

You can order directly from NWSL. I believe they have an online catalog.

It has been my experience that to lower On3 cars to HO coupler height you need to use wheels smaller than 24 inch diameter. Unfortunately you have to experiment. Keep in mind that wheels gauged to 16.5 mm (HO standard) might hit the inner truss rods or other details on tight turns.

The suggestion to mount the HO coupler on the bottom of the Grandt Line coupler might be the best solution. I tried it on a Grandt car. It works but sure looks funny.

japasha

I have a pair of C&S bobbers converted now. I have narrowed the palstic shoulder on the wheel castings to get the proper gauge, I also modify the brake hangers so that the brake shoes are directly in plane with the wheels. I use syrene to make a new mount for the Kadee couple box and tape the plastic for the retainer screw.

Add 3 ounces of weight and the bobber tracks nicely and will back up with the train when in reverse.  As the Grandt wheels are on a steel axle, there is no need to use NWSL axles and such unless you want to.

I have three San Juan DRG&W short cabooses as well using the new On30 trucks. Weight of the cars is critical as they are light. Couple pockets were modified in the same manner of the Grandt Bobber. 

These cabooses look just right at the end of a ten car On30 train pulled by either a C-16 or the Bachmann Consolidation.