Digitrax Zephyr, Decoder Pro, and sound decoders

Started by Birdog, January 23, 2009, 05:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdog

Hi All,
Here's what I want to do:
Program Micro-Tsunami's and QSI's with a Zephyr and Decoder Pro.

Which interface do you recommend? I was looking at the Digitrax PR3.
If I purchase that do I need a booster as well (PTB-100 or Powerpax)?

Thanks for the help
Birdog

Jim Banner

Have you considered using Ops Mode (on the main) programming?  Zephyr also has an undocumented "blast mode" which applies full mainline power to the programming track.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Birdog

Jim,
I did see that information somewhere. Yes I have considered that, however I really like the idea of being able to program with decoder pro. Seems like the easiest way to go and my finger won't get bloody punching buttons.
Do you have a thought on having to use a booster along with the PR3, Zephyr and decoder pro? I am unsure if I need to have one. I read in the PR3 info off the Digitrax website that a booster is not needed. Is that correct?

Tim

Birdog

According to Digitrax, a booster is not required as the PR3
also acts as a booster.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Birdog

Tim,
Yeah that's what I gather from their website as well. But I have been told from a DCC dealer(a reliable one too) that I definitely need a booster. So I am getting conflicting info. ???
I guess I can get the booster anyway but if I can save the $$ I'd like to.
Does anyone else have a tip?
Thanks, Birdog

Hunt

Purchase a booster only when you determine you need one.

Tim

Birdog

As Hunt says wait until you have it hooked up and running.

Don't spend money you don't have to.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Jim Banner

There seems to be some confusion over what constitutes a booster.  Your Zephyr is a throttle, command station and booster integrated into one package.  But when you use the programming output, the booster is normally bypassed.  Thus the suggestion to use OPs mode programing on the main where the full 2.5 amp output is available for programming.  OPs mode works just fine with Decoder Pro - I use it all the time for non-sound decoders.  Others use it with sound decoders.

Blast mode reconfigures the Zephyr internally to deliver full booster power to the programming track.  I do not use blast mode on my Zephyr because I do not need it for my decoders.  But my understanding from the folks on the JMRI and Digitrax Yahoo groups is that it works just fine with Decoder Pro.  The limitation with blast mode programming, as with OPs mode programming, is that you cannot read back from decoders.  This is not a great problem with Decoder Pro as you normally have a saved record of how you programmed the CVs for each locomotive and if they go bad, you just reload them with a couple of key strokes.

The PR-3, as I understand it, will interface with your computer via USB, can drive a programming track at a level high enough to program most decoders, and can interface via LocoNet with a model railroad that already has a booster for running trains.  With the computer connected, it can program in Decoder Pro.  Someone else will have to tell you whether the PR-3 is bi-directional, that is, whether it allows you to read back from decoders.  The PR-3 also allows you to massage and download sound files into Digitrax SoundFX decoders.

If you want to use your computer to run your railway via a PR-3, yes, you will need a booster.  Fortunately, you already have one - in your Zephyr.  Panel Pro, which comes along with Decoder Pro, is one approach to doing just that.

Edit - replace "boost mode" by "blast mode."  Thank Hunt, glad you were more awake than I was!

Tim

Jim

The powerpax and others are sold as programming boosters.

This is the booster we are referring to.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Jim Banner

Tim, I will try to simplify what I am saying:

If the output level of a PR-3 isn't high enough, you can use the booster in your Zephyr to increase power to your programming track.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Birddog also asked for recommendations on the type of interface he needs.

A PR-3 is a good choice of interface to use with Decoder Pro.  You can use it directly for programming, use it boosted by your Zephyr, or link Decoder Pro to your Zephyr with it.  As a bonus, you can also modify sound files in certain decoders.

LocoBuffer-USB might be a better choice if you are worried about damaging an expensive computer.  It will NOT program decoders directly and it will NOT upload sound files to any decoders, but it works very well linking Decoder Pro to your Zephyr and it fully protects your computer against spikes, ground loops, ringing, and other errant currents.

Overall, I would recommend the PR-3 and a junker computer to connect it to.  If you don't have one in the back of a closet, they are often free for the asking.  On the road I run Decoder Pro under Windows 98SE on an old laptop that won't support anything higher.  It works just fine with my LocoBuffer-USB and Zephyr and runs almost as fast as it does at home on a 3 GHz machine running XP.  For the PR-3 you would need a computer capable of supporting XP.

Birdog

Jim,
Fantastic info! You have explained it very clearly. My hunch was just what you said. I don't plan on running my railroad with it I just want to build a roster of locomotives with Decoder Pro and program the decoders(but I do have that option in the future). It sounds like the PR3 will do that for me. And if I need more power I can use the Zephyr. I know it's tough for the maufactures to keep up with the fast pace of what we want and what we are trying to do and it's extremely nice to be able to query the knowledgebase you and the others provide. I really appreciate the help and tips from everyone and hopefully I can "pay it forward".
Cheers!
Birdog

WGL

If I were to get a Digitrax Zephyr for programming decoders I've installed myself, would I be able to connect my Bachmann 5 amp booster to it, or is it made to accept only a Digitrax booster?

Could I connect the power pack from my DC train set to the Zephyr as a throttle?  I read the Zephyr manual, & it doesn't even discuss controlling multiple trains with the Zephyr's throttle.  I can probably run 5 trains simultaneously with EZ Command better than 2 with Zephyr from one throttle.

With a Digitrax decoder I installed into my Blueline Mikado, I found that there is no momentum; the loco accelerates & decelerates quickly.  Also, the master volume seems to be at maximum, which is too loud.  I would like to be able to program this features, but it might be cheaper to take my two Blueline locos to a hobby shop for programming.

rustyrails

You can run multiple engines simultaneously with the Zephyr.  Digitrax expalains how here:

http://digitrax.com/kb/index.php?a=885

The Digitrax site is a great place to look for Q and A about their products.  they also respond to E-mail promptly.

As far as running your Bachmann booster with the Zephyr, don't do it unless you can find specific instructions from DIGITRAX on how to do that.

You can use two NON-PULSE POWER power packs with your Zephyr.  Each one can control a single loco.  Digitrax calls them Jump Throttles.

I own a Zephyr and am quite taken with it.  It is easy to use and has LOTS of features that separate it from EZ Command.  If you get one, I think you'll like it, too.

Rusty

Jim Banner

For programming just two locomotives on a one time only basis, it would very likely be cheaper to take them to the local hobby shop than to buy a Zephyr to do the job.  But what about next time?  And how do you tell the programmer at the hobby shop just how much momentum to program into the decoders?  Same question about volume.  These numbers are usually arrived at by a trial and error process.

The E-Z Command definitely has the best system for running many trains from one throttle.  Nothing beats pushing one button to transfer the throttle to a different train, both in terms of speed and in terms of convenience.  However, as has been pointed out, the Zephyr allows you to use two jump throttles, which means you do not that to push any buttons when running three trains.  While the number of jump throttles is limited to two, the number of regular throttles can be as many as ten.  Many times four friends and I ran five trains at a time, one each, and each one run with a separate throttle.  The limitation in our case was the 2.5 amp output of the Zephyr.  To run more than five trains at a time, I had to buy a booster.

I cannot tell you whether or not an E-Z Command booster can be used with a Zephyr.  Boosters can have two types of inputs - low level or high level.  A low level input connects to the throttle bus or expansion port and is unique to the manufacturer.  A high level input connects to to the rail outputs of the command station and generally will work with any manufacturer's command station.  I do not own an E-Z Command booster and do not know what type of input(s) it has.  Perhaps someone who does know will pass their knowledge on.

Jim

r0bert

the EZ commnad booster is a High level input, and amplifies the track power/command signal to 5 amps. the supplied input cable is set up to connect to the EZ command, and will have to be modified for use with other brand systems (one of the plugs has to be cut off).