News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

removing paint from the 2-8-0

Started by RGW, August 25, 2015, 06:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGW

Just picked up a used Spectrum 2-8-0,but it is in Southern green. I want to strip the paint from the boiler and cab,in the past I have used  91% isopropol alcohol on Bachmann diesel shells,but
has any body tried removing the paint from there steam locomotives? I would just order a new shell,but they are sold out.

kewatin

i haven't stripped any of my locos to paint for the last couple of yrs  as i found a high heat black B-BQ paint by rustoleum sold at MENARDS.it turns out to be a nice grimy black,which supports my needs as i have to disassemble the loco to add my vestibule cabs, for the tenders i just remove the trucks &mask off the coal load.its just that easy.if you have any doubts try a spray on a sample piece of plastic and i think you will be presently surprised.again the product is RUSTOLEUM HIGH HEAT.12 oz can.also it in no way damages the plastic.i have used this rattle can application and it works as good as my badger airbrush.
regards&later KEWATIN

RGW

I can just paint over the green,since it is going to be black, not much of a problem with coverage. I like to strip the paint because some times it can get a little thick and hides the  details. As for the tender I will change it out for a USRA short tender.

inkaneer

I tried 91% alcohol on a 2-10-2 tender.  It had a difficult time with the white paint but did work.  Unfortunately it did not faze any of the colors.  I would rather remove the old pain and repaint rather than painting over the existing colors.  But that is plan 'B' if no other options.  I used to use Chameleon but cannot find it anymore.

gatrhumpy

Testors makes a pretty good paint remover. You can also try an eraser head.