News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Size difference of the 4-4-0's?

Started by az2rail, February 02, 2009, 10:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

az2rail

A thread a couple of months back was about the difference in the sizes of the 4-4-0's. It would appear that the later run was larger than the first, but no one said how to tell them apart. How do I know the difference without seeing them in person? Is there a prefix or product number that will tell me which is which?

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Hamish K

There are two types of 4-4-0, the inside frame introduced first, and the outside frame introduced last year. The outside frame is larger. As well as the size and frame difference the inside frame has a wagon top boiler, the outside frame a straight boiler. Numbers are 28301-28306 fror the inside frame (smaller) and 28321-28326 for the outside frame (larger).

Hamish

az2rail

Hi. Thanks for the information. That is what I needed.

I knew about the inside and outside frames, but I did not know that was also the key to telling the size difference. I guess I got lucky, as the outside frame is what I want, and the large size is also what I want.

Thanks again,
Bruce

renniks

there are photos with numbers  in the photo gallery.

'Modern' O/F on page 2 and older I/F on page 4 (can get a greatly enlarged pic of the I/F types).
    Looking at the larger pics of the I/F versions,I noticed that there are different trux on the tenders of the wooden and steel cabs.

Eric UK

James Thomas

Would be nice to see a photo of them side by side.
-James Thomas

hminky

az2rail

Thanks again. You all were a big help. I now have the number and was able to see photo's of the one I am interested in. Seeing them side by side is what I needed. One store in town has one, and another has the other, but neither had both to compare them next to each other.

Nice web page Harold.

Bruce