News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track and EZ Command for new layout

Started by Old Jedi, February 04, 2009, 01:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Jedi

I am considering EZ track for my new layout, and have never used it before.  From reading elsewhere on the net it seems like the hardcore modellers don't like it, especially the turnouts.  I like the idea of #5 and #6 turnouts with DCC decoders already built-in.  My question is this:  Is this track reliable, including the turnouts?  Do you have trouble with trains derailing on the turnouts?  Also, can two turnouts be switched via the same address or is each one separate?  I have heard you are limited to 8.  True?  Thanks for the time, and for objective feedback from users of the product.  :)
Glenn

Fear is a path to the Dark Side:  Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, and Hate leads to Suffering.
---Yoda, Jedi Master, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

THB-DAVE

You dont have the option of using flex track if you just use EZ track or the much greater variety of turnout types, ie; curved turnouts, tripple turnouts or number 10 or 12  turnouts like Peco offers. Also EZ track only comes in code 100. I use only flex track and Peco Turnouts which are power routing and some Atlas turnouts. Also Peco switch machines are great with built in frog polarity changing contacts. Peco turnouts have spring loaded switch points that ensure positive contacts and eliminate derailing at the points. EZ track is great for quick setups or for fast contstruction of a more permanent layout.

Dave

Rangerover

You dont have the option of using flex track if you just use EZ track or the much greater variety of turnout types, ie; curved turnouts, tripple turnouts or number 10 or 12  turnouts like Peco offers. Also EZ track only comes in code 100.

Excuse me but I have Bachmann EZ track running right in to Atlas flex track. I used a long piece of homasote, 4', sanded from 1/2", full thickness of homasote to about 1/4", the thickness of Bachmann EZ track.  I used homasote for my Atlas code 100 for roadbed, literally kills noise. Cork roadbed will match up with the Bachmann EZ track. I used Atlas connectors from the Bachmann to the Atlas.

Also I have code 100 transitioned to code 83, atlas makes connectors for that purpose.

The Peco turnouts are European and require some attention with the track, a bit of filing here and there to match the gauge.

Rangerover

Quote from: Old Jedi on February 04, 2009, 01:18:25 PM
I am considering EZ track for my new layout, and have never used it before.  From reading elsewhere on the net it seems like the hardcore modellers don't like it, especially the turnouts.  I like the idea of #5 and #6 turnouts with DCC decoders already built-in.  My question is this:  Is this track reliable, including the turnouts?  Do you have trouble with trains derailing on the turnouts?  Also, can two turnouts be switched via the same address or is each one separate?  I have heard you are limited to 8.  True?  Thanks for the time, and for objective feedback from users of the product.  :)

I use some EZ track turnouts, but the older version, I use a switch to operate, I don't mind, the switch's are not DCC, though I run it DCC. I have a 2 line subway beneath my layout most of which is Bachmann, it does however transiton from Bachmann track to Atlas since I put in an addition, ballasted you wouldn't know the difference. It travesl approx 70 ft from end to end. I haven't had any problem with the Bachmann EZ track switch's installed 3 years ago. I would think if you're using EZ Command to operate your switch's, you can only program 9 DCC devices unless you run a consist or operate 2  switch's the same time. If you plan on that much you will either need a 5  amp booster or the dyamis system. I have the 5 amp booster and run dcc on six main lines.

As far as Bachmann EZ track, well all I can say is that yeah some of the other modellers hate it, others imbrace it. I've seen some real nice layout's finished in EZ track, but you are some what limited. I really prefer flex track. On my main layout on top it's all flex and I used both code 100 and code 83.
Code 100 in the mountains and tunnels and code 83 where you can see it, tell the truth, once ballasted, I can't see the difference, and I had to change wheels on some of my old rolling stock, the deep flanges on some would ride on the code 83 track plates and spikes, the plastic part.

Tylerf

As has already been said it's good for fast starts to getting a layout built and lots of modellers can make it look pretty good, but I find it just looks a little too "perfect". I also prefer flex track where you can creat realistic easements and small curves allong with much less rail joints good for modern modelers. So curve detail Is limited, Im also not much of a fan of the perfect ballast the ez track has and it looks pretty hard to truelly nicely blend the track with surrounding scenery. So I guess the thing is there's allot of realistic trackage that cannot be modeled with ez track but it's totally the modelers choice. I've sorts gone on about the flaws of ez track and that's just what I see in it but I do know that unless done perfectly flextrack can require some maitenence too work perfectly while ez track being snap together I would guess would be almost maitenence free and very reliable

Rangerover

One more thing I might add is you can buy EZ track in 3 ft lengths, but the problem is you can't bend it like flex track. I agree with the above poster pretaining to easements. I neve tried it with EZ track. But do a search and see what modellers accomplished using strictly ez track. You'll be amazed!

Old Jedi

Well, I realize that the roadbed track is not as flexible as section track and/or flex track.  What I was expressing doubt about, and wanting opinions on, is whether it is reliable electrically, and do trains stay on the rails through the turnouts?  Also, is it true that switches would take addresses like the locos--meaning would they count as among the 9 allowed, or is it 9 switches AND 9 loco addresses?  Thanks again all!
Glenn

Fear is a path to the Dark Side:  Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, and Hate leads to Suffering.
---Yoda, Jedi Master, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Tylerf

I think you run 9 locos then can hit function and run 9 switches, that's what I've gotten from people.

Rangerover

If you are going to purchase the unit below it is only 1 amp, you can only run 2-3 DCC loco's with it. If you plan on running more and all your switch's you will need the 5 amp booster, or the Dynamis, like I explained in a previous post.

The track is very reliable, I have run trains almost every day for the past 3 years with no problem whatsoever.

Turnouts...I have had no problem with Bachmann EZ track turnouts, except when they were brand new, had the same problem with Atlas turnouts. A couple of them had a flat point on the movable rail. In layman's terms, I carefully filed the inside of the movable rail to a point, without bending the point until the point layed against the outside rail.

Derailing..never a problem going through the turnouts, but I run my trains about HO scale speed. If you go helter skelter, it will no doubt derail.

As far as addressing switch's in your unit, I don't know. Again like I said before I switch mine using a toggle and push button on my panel, I don't have the newer DCC powered turnouts. Best to wait for someone who has, maybe some poster will come along with that knowledge.

E-Z Command ® Digital Command Control System

If you look over to the far left of the page, in the red area, click on easy command, pages of knowledge there and expansion goody's available. I would advise you to do just that before going to a LHS, some of those clerks don't know anything about DCC. Been there, done that!

THB-DAVE

Rangerover this is a ridiculous statement "The Peco turnouts are European and require some attention with the track, a bit of filing here and there to match the gauge." Peco track is the same guage as any HO track and requires no filing and Peco Turnouts are the finest and most precise on the market and definitly require no attention.

Dave

Rangerover

Oh I totally agree about Peco being the finest and if I were building from scratch I would be using nothing but Peco. However I used mostly Atlas, 47 turnouts with Tortise machines under those. I was refering to filing on 2 or 3 of the Peco where I had a slight alignment problem. I have 12 curved Peco turnouts and using their machines and they are flawless.

Nothing ridiculous about it just the facts! And I don't comment on "what I heard", such as this statement by you "I think you run 9 locos then can hit function and run 9 switches, that's what I've gotten from people"

I comment on my experience only!

boomertom

My primary se of E-Z Track has been for an under the Christmas tree loop. I have used the same pieces for nine years with the same results each year -fock solid conections and electric connections.

My only reason for not using it in my actual layout is I am using  Atlas Code 83 and switches
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Tylerf

That was not his comment that was mine. And I said "I think" and "that's what I've gotten from people" meaning it may be wrong so don't immediatly believe it. I never said "it is" the right answer and therefore is not giving a wrong answer

Robertj668

Old Jedi
My 5 yr old son and I are using the the EZ track and the DCC systems too.  I love the DCC switches!  As I understand the you can use  10 DCC engines on our DCC system by bachmann and 9 or 10 switches on it too!  I have had no problem with my new rolling stock but are having problems with my old stock de railing. an earlier post mentioned about filing the moving part of the switch. I am going to give it a try too. Though  using the DCC switching sometimes gets tricky as it take a moment to select #9 then the function button then the switch number.  So we may to completey go to DCC for all switches!  Have a good day.
Robert

grenadier1943

Old Jedi,
   I use EZ-track exclusively.  I recently purchased a couple of decoder equiped #6 turnouts and love them.  The track is very reliable and the only time I've had a car derail was because there was a problem with the car not the turnout.   

Mike