News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to On30 scale

Started by USNavyChiefRet, February 04, 2009, 11:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USNavyChiefRet

I am new to On30 scale having dabbled in HO some, but not with DCC. I am currenlty building a layout in my basement that is going to extend about 11 feet and come out from the wall about 4 ft. I am looking at purchasing a DCC  and sound ready steam locomotive, preferably Bachmann. The one I am looking at is a Spectrum Steam Powered 28-Ton 2-Truck Class B Climax w/Straight Boiler-Pocahontas Lumber Company #7. The Bachmann product number is bac25760. It says it is DCC and sound ready, which I believe means it's ready for the install of a decoder as well as a sound decoder/speaker. I know only what I've been able to read about online concerning DCC. I have a On30 scale train by Bachmann but it is only DC (A Thomas Kinkade Christmas set). What do I need for a decoder? Will the E-Z Command Decoder w/NMRA plug #44915 work? It says this decoder has 28/128 speed steps, service mode decoder lock, programming on the main, 2 or 4 digit addressing, advanced consisting, etc. What sound decoder should I be looking at? I would like one that has a lot of sounds to it. Any help would sure be appreciated. Thanks

JohnR

If it's within your budget, I would suggest considering the Climax's with factory sound installed.  Ready to run DCC w/sound right out of the box.   

If you go with a DCC ready unit, you'll need a decoder or a sound/decoder.  It's an either or situation.  For a basic decoder, I've frequently used Digitrax DZ series.  If you want sound as well as loco controll, Soundtraxx microTsunami (TSU-750) Light Logging is the equivalent to Bachmann's sound equipped versions.  You'll also need an appropriate speaker for the available space in the fuel bunker.

Since you're new to DCC, I'd suggest talking with the folks at your local hobby shop.  Other good resources are the folks at web resellers - Tony's Trains, and Litchfield Station.  Tony's and Litchfield specialize in DCC.

If you're set on having sound, shop around and sum your costs.  You may find that the factory sound unit is less expensive.

-John

jestor

Hello Chief. Welcome to ON-30.  I will add my vote for acquiring the Shay or Climax with sound on board.  The Favorite Spot (EBay seller) has them for $220, which is the lowest price I have found. By the time you buy the loco,then buy a sound decoder, you'll have spent just about the same amount. Installing sound in the geared loco is a bit more challenging due to the limited space available. So let the factory do it and save some hassle. The factory sound in Bachmann locos is Soundtrax made, which is top notch.  You can use Atlas HO track to start.  Minimum radius is 18".  You'll get various recommendations on what DCC system is best. I use the Prodigy Express. It has a long enough tethered handheld to get you from one end of your table to the other. 

jestor

Oh yeah, I forgot to give you some not so good news. That starter set you've got; the 2-6-0 Mogul in that set is analog only. It must be rewired to convert to DCC. DCC ready means the socket is there to plug a decoder into. While going to the trouble of converting this loco to DCC is not impossible, it is quite involved, and it still won't be as reliable a runner as the Climax or Shay  unless you also add electrical pickups to the tender. This loco is Bachmann's very first ON-30 loco that introduced the world to ON-30. Sadly it is old technology and doesn't compare to the later products.  That's the only downer I can think of.  Everything else is FUNNER!

ebtnut

Chief:  One other thing you should consider.  You noted that your layout was to be about 4 feet out from the wall.  Make sure you consider how you are going to access all point of your layout.  As a general rule, nothing should be more than 30" reach from the edge of the layout.  In some cases, access hatches might be used, but consider the hassle of crawling under the layout to get to them. 

C.S.R.R. Manager

Chief, if you haven't seen this yet, here is a detailed description of how to install DCC in the Mogul.  Harold's site has a lot of other info on On30, and other assorted scales.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/mogul_page/

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com

Manager

USNavyChiefRet

Thanks all for your help! I really appreciate it. I purchased a Spectrum ON30 2-4-4 Forney w/Tsunami on Ebay from the "Favorite Spot". As far as the layout is concerned it is in a "dog-bone shape" so I can reach to the far corners fairly easy. I am just now putting the extruded foam down. I have been using a book published by "Model Railroder" titled "Building A Ready-to-Run Model Railroad" "A quick an easy layout from off-the-shelf components", it's by Jeff Wilson and has fairly good instrutions in it. My layout isn't exactly like his in the book, I had to reduce mine to 11 feet because of the wall I'm putting it on. It's sitting on 3 bookcases and fastened to a wall in one place as well as fastenend with "L" brackets to the 3 bookcases. Last night I was able to get the left side foam down and today I will work on the back and right side. I made the middle larger than what is shown in the book but I can still reach to both corners. It's fun, but also a lot of work. I getting excited now because it's all starting to come together, and once I get the foam down I can start on track work. I'm sure I will need help there. I have a lot of track already but will most likely be purchasing more, like turn-outs, etc. There are some good hobby shops here in Minneapolis, like Hub Hobby, etc. I find though that things are a lot cheaper online. Anyway, got to get to work on it. I am retired Navy so have time to do things like this. I'm building this kind of for myself as well as my granddaughters. They were here at Christmas and I had a batter operated train for the Christmas tree and they went nuts over it, so I'm sure they will be excited about this. Thanks to everyone so far for all the help. I may try tackling the Mogul at sometime in the future. I have been looking at DCC Starter sets. I have looked hard at the DigiTraxx Zephyr as well as the MRC Prodigy, I'm just not sure yet, but I have time to sort it out. Thanks again all.

USNavyChiefRet

Does anyone know anything about the Bachmann Dynamis Wireless DCC system? In comparison to other DCC Systems? Just wondering. Anyone have any experience with it?

USNavyChiefRet

Yes, I suppose you are right. I was merely trying to see if anyone had any experience with The Dynamis system.  I did assemble my own research on DCC Systems. Actually I took your advice and took a hard look at NCE. Thanks for mentioning it.

jestor

I too would be interested in anyone's experience with the Dynamis DCC system as I am interested in a "wireless" system. Basically all DCC operating systems do the same thing; they run your DCC trains. Some have a knob to control train speed, while others use buttons. The Dynamis uses a joy stick. I am intrigued by the fact that it is wireless, and by reading through the list of features, it appears equal to the others with a better than average power supply(2+) amps. So if I were to compare the Dynamis with others in the same price range, the fact that it's the only wireless system in the game seems to place it out front. There are some comments about Dynamis from a user on the OGR forum.

jestor

While IR has it's limitations, this shouldn't pose a problem on a 11 foot long layout. Since the remote "talks" to the receiver, not the loco, why should a tunnel pose a problem? I would think that careful placement of the receiver unit would be the key to sucessful operation; making sure the remote can always "see" the receiver. Perhaps mounting the receiver a few feet up on the wall would give "line of sight" from anywhere around the layout. The photos I have seen of the receiver unit show a fairly wide "window" to receiver the IR signal, so I suspect that as long as you're pointing the remote in the general direction of the receiver, you should be OK.

renniks

Jestor,

I stand corrected----blame it on my DCC mindset. Of course the remote 'talks' to the receiver.  Now remember seeing a tip about mounting an IR recvr. on a bracket above the layout to give clear view; on a long shelf layout probably best to fit recvr.at one end 'looking' along the layout.
  Don't remember seeing a post on any of my groups from someone actually using the Dynamis unit.

David(UK)

Quote from: USNavyChiefRet on February 06, 2009, 01:58:08 AM
Does anyone know anything about the Bachmann Dynamis Wireless DCC system? In comparison to other DCC Systems? Just wondering. Anyone have any experience with it?
Still a rare beast, even over here in the UK!
However, this may help you.
http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164122
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

jestor

Check out the OGR forum under narrow gauge. A dealer gives his opinions.