News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Combining DCC with Direct Radio Control

Started by StanAmes, March 22, 2007, 04:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StanAmes

Over the past month it seems that the Direct Radio Control fans and the DCC fans seem to be working against each other.  Some see these two different methods as being very different.  Actually  they are not so far apart.

Manufacturers are increasingly integrating DCC within their locomotives.  This can be a real advantage to both the users and the manufacturers.  Unfortunately the Direct Radio Control folks have often faced the need to rip and replace.

It does not need to be this way.

I have written a proposal for the DCC working group on how to merge or accommodate both approaches.  This will allow any Direct Radio Control manufacturer to build products that can integrate with the decoders which will preserve the investments of all.

The proposal is linked from my Large Scale site and will be updated as we move forward with more details as necessary.

http://www.tttrains.com/largescale/

Stan Ames

Jim Banner

It sounds good, Stan.  Effectively replace one through-the-rails command station with a number of through-the-air command stations, each linked to a particular locomotive.  Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Tony Walsham

Some months ago I was requested to contact Debbie Ames, the Lenz importer into the USA, to discuss the possibility of an RCS R/C interface for battery R/C'ing Lenz DCC.

I duly did contact Debbie and during our cordial discussion I offered to supply the RCS encoding sequences if Lenz would care to use them for just such an interface.

I guess the wheels of a big DCC company take some time to grind into motion, but, I am still waiting to hear back from someone.

The offer still stands.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Wolfgang Hildebrand

Stan,
exactly what I need!

I like my AirWire, but the motor management at low speed (No back EMF!) is miserable compared to the Digitrax  DG 583 I've been using before.

My Connies, while going slow, would come to a sudden, unrealistic stop or start jerking entering a curve or a turnout due to missing speed stabilization. (Back EMF at low speed perfectly stands in for the lacking inertia in 1:20 scale compared to 1:1.)

I'm on your side.
Wolfgang Hildebrand
Wolfgang Hildebrand

Hunt

Quote from: wolfganghildebrand on March 23, 2007, 01:31:43 PM
I like my AirWire, but the motor management at low speed (No back EMF!) is miserable compared to the Digitrax  DG 583 I've been using before.
Wolfgang,
Advise CVP about your experience with the low speed motor management and your version of AirWire900.