News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Beware That New Krylon Spray Paint

Started by ole, February 08, 2009, 09:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scedarleaf

As there are always changes in chemistry because of "regulations" and such in the US, it's been my practice to test everything when those changes are made. 

Depending on the decal material used, each type of application process needs to be tested for compatibility. 

I can only speak from my own experiences.  Using bel-decal material, printed on an ALPS printer, they Krylon Acrylic paints are compatible.  Krylon Acrylic is compatible with most, but not all of the Large Scale paints.   Plastic and brass.   However, testing is the best advice. 

Dull Coate has a tendency to destroy the ALPS printed decals.  That's why I use the Krylon Acrylic products.
Stan...... :)

El Loco

???I am wondering why you all are using the Krylon paint  to begin with? There so many companies that specialize in model paints where the pigments are smaller giving a great finish.
Not dig'n for trouble just curious why?

El Loco,
I agree model paints are a safe bet, but Krylon paint meant:
-No driving 25 miles just to find out the hobby shop did not have what you want.
-No waiting for order to come by UPS.
-Convenience of being on the shelf every place spray paints were sold.
-Very economical compared to model paints.
-Matched Bachmanns paint quite well.
-To do what modelers do well: improvise and look for alternative solutions.

We will persevere.

El Loco

;D I now understand,  I am fortunate to have a LHS close by.  I now have a better understanding.
Best regards.  ;) 

ole

Since my first posting about Krylon products, I have made a change in my painting operations. No matter what color paint was laid down, I now only use the gloss acyrlic clear if decals are to be applied; if the paint is glossy then I skip this clear coat. Once the decals are down, then I use the water-based matte clear finish to seal in the decals. I am now comfortable to use these products without any problems but this only came after alot of experimenting.
Whatever your project and as previously stated, be sure to test on some scrap before spraying the final product.
Lee
Owyhee River & Western RR, a division of the C&S - Nevada