News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

log car sizes

Started by billkohler, February 06, 2009, 11:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billkohler

About a year ago, there was a thread about box car sizes (953XX, 933XX, 880XX) which I found to be very enlightening.

I'd like to ask the same question about the 2 current log car models - 98470 (flat car w/ logs) and 98490 (skeleton log car). I think I recall once seeing that the skeleton car is 1:20.3 which I'd like to verify, but I'm really interested in the flat car w/ logs (98470).

Is it also 1:20.3 or is it 1:22.5?

Thanks,

Bill

Jon D. Miller

Both cars, skeleton and flat car, are Big Hauler series.  As such they are 1:22.5.

Bachmann does not offer a 1:20.3 skeleton log car.  Their Spectrum 1:20.3 flat cars are Item numbers 88XXX.  There are four of these cars. The Spectrum flat cars are longer, wider, and more highly detailed than the Big Hauler series cars.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

billkohler

Thanks, JD!

I suspected the flat car w/ logs was 1:22.5, but since I haven't yet bought any, I wasn't sure.

I have a couple of the "1:20.3 20-foot" flat cars which look reasoably good, but just like the comments on the box cars, they're really small! I don't think I want to get any more.

I also have several of the skeleton cars, but wasn't sure of the scale.

I'll probably go with the 1:22.5 flat w/ logs, since I'm doing a model of the Greenbrier Cheat & Elk (Cass Scenic RR) which used flat cars w/ rails on top for a Barnhart-type loader. I can't afford a large inventory of the Spectrum cars!

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php?blog=84

Bill Kohler

Jon D. Miller

Bill,
I took a look at your grblog.  You are off to a good start.  I'll look forward to following progress on your railroad through postings to your blog.

The grblogs are another great benefit for Large Scale on Line members.  The number of blogs grows by the week.  There are some really interesting, detailed, and informative blogs.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Loco Bill Canelos

If you go with the 1:22.5 cars the Bachmann Flat Car Kits two in the box undecorated is a great deal. You can also use the undecorated but painted version.  These would not require stripping the lettering off.

98470   None   None   2000   Flat Car   w / logs , painted, unlettered black   P   L       
98916   None   None   2005   Flat Car   Kit, Undecorated Brand New   2 in box         metal wheels   
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!