News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Gramps Tank Car

Started by BobHuddleston, February 27, 2009, 03:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobHuddleston

One of the advantages of smaller scale model trains is the ease with which one may pick them up. Light weight, one hand, holding lightly, there are no problems.

Large Scale is a different matter: they are big and heavy and often need two hands. Additionally, because of their weight you have to hold tightly. For most cars that is not a problem: every thing from the tender to the caboose is, after all, a "box" car -- a rectangular cube, whether it is a flat car or a streamlined dome car.

The exception is a frameless tank car. Which brings me to my topic:

A Christmas present from my wife is a Spectrum Gramps. It is beautiful and, placing it next to a 1/24 Gramps, is an impressive example of the scale difference. Placed behind my K-27, it attracts attention! 

However, with the beauty comes a problem. The thing is so danged fragile! Almost before I got it out of the box I had knocked off of the grad iron ladders! I was able to glue that back on but I still haven't figured out how to handle it without breaking or losing something. Indeed, Bachmann recognizes that by including the bag of spare parts!

A neat thing is that the draft gear covers lift up. I suppose I need to supply the oily rags to go in there. 1/20.3 of a Kleenex? And they keep dropping off.

Seriously, is there any problem with my gluing them shut?

jebouck

I have glued all my bearing covers shut on my Spectrum cars.
No problem at all. You can still lube from the inside, just like you always do.

az2rail

I would use Elmers glue then. It will hold the cover shut, but if you decide to open them later, the glue will easily break apart, and you can chip it of the paint without damaging it.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

mancosbob

Thanks for the heads up!  I will keep that in mind if ever I can find the cars I want...
John Huey
Modeling the RGS in 1:20.3 after 1952