News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mr Bach-man steam for 18in radius

Started by bobwrgt, February 11, 2009, 11:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobwrgt

You do not show the radius for DCC 2-8-4 Berk. Will it work on 18in.

I sure would like other steamers but you do not show what will work.

Thanks
Bob

SteamGene

Bob,
Since it is a Standard and does not say "Minimum 22" radius," I assume that it will take an 18"radius.  How  good it looks might be another thing. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
It will run on well-laid 18" radius, but, as Gene says, 22" is preferred.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

SteamGene

Bob,
The Consolidation, Russian Decapod, Ten Wheeler, and American(Bachmann Spectrum) all handle 18" curves and don't look real bad on them. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

bobwrgt

It would be nice if Bachmann would test these new releases and publish the results in the specs.

Assuming that i had an older Niagera that runs fine on 18in i purchased the new Dcc 4-8-4 northern and it did not derail but slowed down alot going around the 18in radius. Had to sell it on ebay.
I just purchased the Bli 4-8-4 Santa fe and will see how it works. They publish in the spec for 18 inch.

I also made the same mistake with the 2-10-2 Dcc. I could have lived with it slowing down some but the driver would oscillate and slap the rail makeing a hammering noise even on the streight. Sent it to repair and they returned it just as bad as sent in. Sent it in second time and they replaced it with a 4-8-2 heavy mountain. I have 4 of these that work fine at all speeds.
From  everything i see the IHC 2-10-2 is good for 18 inch. Would have liked the Bachmann.

I have a BLI M1a and N&w J that work just fine on 18 inch as well as a AHM/Riverrossi Berk.

I would purchase more Bachmann steamers if i knew they would work for sure. Just tired of testing them and returning or selling them on ebay.

Bob

SteamGene

Bob,
Pardon me, but you may be trying to get more locomotive than your layout will take.  It just so happens that I have a Bachmann 2-8-4 and it currently is parked on the curve going into Hannahville from the west.  This curve is 30" and the swing of the cab is obviously excessive.  Just running through the curve it is not that noticable, but sitting on it, it sure is.  I have to reconfigure my curved trestle bridge as a BLI C&O T  2-10-4 traveling eastbound took out one of the fire barrels. 
I think  it would be a good idea for Bachmann and other builders to put "minimum radius" on the box if it is more than 18," but I don't think they should be held accountable because they build something that requires a wider curve. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Len

I'm with Gene on getting the boxes labeled with minimum radius info.

We get asked all the time at the LHS where my repair shop is located, "Will this loco go around the 18in curves that came with my set?" So we have to set up a temporary test track to find out, because there's nothing on or in the box to tell us one way or the other.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

grumpy

I just purchased a 2-10-4 and in the box was a sheet of paper with the instructions that it should not be run on anything less than 22"
Don

pdlethbridge

The track minimums mostly are like this. small 2 & 3 axle steam 15", 4-6-2s and 2-8-0s, 18", large steam like 4-8-2's 2-8-4's and 2-10-4's would be better suited for 22' radius and above. Of course, if you can get a 2-10-4 to run on 18", its probably because your track is good. All steam looks better on larger radii, just hide the small radius curves behind buildings or under mountains and lead into them with broader curves.

SteamGene

Grumpy,
Several locos now come with a sheet of paper inside the box saying "Use on 22" radius or higher."  The problem with that is you don't know that unitl the box is opened.  Of course one should do one's homework, but it still would be nice to have minimum radius greater than 18" printed on the box itself "HOscale steam locomotive - minimum radius, 22"; perfoms best at 24" or greater." 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

danmerkel

While you are at it, you might as well include turnouts as well... a lot of people don't think about them as being a source of problems radius-wise, but they can be...

dlm

Yampa Bob

The Bachmann 2009 catalog lists "best performance" radius for each locomotive.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

grumpy

So far the only locos i have had a problem with in the 18" turns are the 2-10-4 and the 2-10-0.  Both had to fight their way around the corner. I always have to remember when purchasing  loco the each mfg is different and some will navigate the corners very nicely and others won't
Don..

Yampa Bob

We won't buy any steam locomotive with a trailing truck for our layout. On 18" curves, if the distance from the rear driver to the cab end is more than about 1-1/4" it looks bad and gives the engineer whiplash, not to mention yanking the tender off the rails.  It's a personal thing, so I'm not trying to sway others from using the trailing truck locos if they are satisfied with them.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Joe Satnik

Quote from: danmerkel on March 28, 2009, 09:29:11 PM
While you are at it, you might as well include turnouts as well... a lot of people don't think about them as being a source of problems radius-wise, but they can be...

dlm

The radius that Dan is referencing is called the "Radius of the Closure Rail" or "RCR". 

John Armstrong's book "Track Planning for Realistic Operation, 3rd Edition" has a chart with various numbered turnouts in various scales and their critical dimensions.

The RCR is the tightest radius turn that a loco or other rolling stock will see on the divergent route. 

From Figure 6-4, pg. 78, Armstrong:

Note: Atlas #4 is actually a #4-1/2

HO scale

Turnout number, RCR(inches)

4,          15"
4-1/2,    22"
5,          26"
6,          43"
8,          67"

It is a good idea to match the RCR with your layout's minimum radius. 

If RCR smaller than minimum radius curve, layout's minimum radius is lowered.

If RCR larger than minimum radius, too much real estate (length) is taken up by the turnout.

If I were to err, it would be to the next (higher) turnout number...

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik       

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.