News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wreck of old '24

Started by OkieRick, February 11, 2009, 08:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

...It was a dark and stormy night.  Actually it was here in OK, tornadoes claimed 11 lives in Lone Grove and the OKC area in the first tornado related storms of 2009.

I also derailed my Proto 2000 Spectrum Series 2-10-2 Heavy, Illinois Central 2924.  It was a gentle derail - the locomotive and tender rolled over and slid down a grade (6-7").  The DCC & Sound connection and wiring was intact.  The wreck resulted in the breaking of the cheap plastic loco to tender coupling device of the Proto 2000 DCC and Sound.  I was a tad bit upset to find this part of the loco and tender was so fragile.  It's 2 months old, Walthers told me today it was not warrantied for repair (I didn't figure it would be) but was told to send them part #s to see if they were available.

I'm inclined to change the way the Proto locomotive and tender couples to something a bit stronger & less apt to break.  Something like the Bachmann USRA 2-10-2 Light coupler - a simple piece of metal hooked between both units.  As shown in the exploded view of parts & snipped by me.

It would be a lot more substantial than the paper matchstick sized plastic connection that Walthers - Proto - Life-Like puts on their top end series of steamers.

I know you're supposed to be easy on these locomotives and such but if the first accident you have destroys the action and fun maybe[/i] it's time to retool.

Okie Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Jim2903

I've always thought the P2K drawbar connection was superior to the Bachmann Spectrum -- a single click to attach and detatch, rather than a bunch of flimsy wires and two tiny plugs that are hard to handle and connect from beneath, rather than a solid straight-on plug.
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Cascade International Ry.

OkieRick

My connection bar didn't live long enough to be enjoyed.  I can't physically repair the locomotive myself so it's going to take a trip back to "Keith at Repairs" at Walthers.

Rick w/ mouthstick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

PhilipCal

For what we pay for Proto equipment, the "coupling" should be a little more durable.