need help as big hauler new out of box won't run good

Started by BlueAngel, February 12, 2009, 10:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueAngel

Have a Big Hauler new in box, probably 15 yrs old, will not run over a foot in less than 1 second, it is very slow with the original transformer about 2 inches square, think it said 7 amps,  and have tried it on 3 layouts with same results. Any suggestions to help would be great as I am new in Garden Size railroading,,, was going to use this as my first garden train, but, as I said , it won't run. Also, after about 5 mins running so slow transformer cuts off hot. Any comments will be valuable to me... sincerely, Doug

jayl1

Doug,

You might try this question on the large scale board.

Two minor suggestions -
1. Try a larger power pack.
2 Check to see if there is any "gunk" on the gears.  If the engine has been sitting for a long time that is possible.  It will also probably need a re-lubing.

Good luck!

Jim Banner

After 15 years, the oil and grease have no doubt oxidized and are gumming up the works.  Remove the bottom cover and oil all the axles and shafts and grease the gears.  Use ONLY plastic compatible oil and grease from your hobby shop.  Regular oils and greases can permanently damage your locomotive.

The power pack that came with these locomotives in train sets were about 4 inches square and were rated at .7 amps or so.  These are adequate when the locomotive is properly oiled and greased but under powered if the locomotive needs attention.  This acts as a sort of safety valve - the locomotive slows or even stops rather than burning out the motor when oiling and greasing are required.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.