News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann On30 scale & Kadee uncouplers

Started by riny, February 12, 2009, 12:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riny

Does anyone know if Kadee between-rail magnetic uncouplers work ok with (Bachmann) On30 trains (code 100 track)? I've heard they may cause problems.

ebtnut

Properly installed, the Kadee magnets should work just fine - they are designed to be compatible with code 100 rail.  Any problems are normally a result of drooping coupler pins, which can snag on the magnets (and also on turnouts).  Kadee makes a coupler height gauge that includes a measurement for the minimum pin height off the rail.  But, if you can slide matchbook cover between the pin and the railhead, you should be just fine.

JohnR

Any sufficiently strong and properly aligned magnet will work.  Note that the magnet's poles must be perpendicular to the rails.  (The Kadee magnets are designed this way.  With other magnets, you'll need to find the poles.)   I've used small button magnets in a stack ( ( ( ()  between the ties on Peco track with good results.

-John

BIG BEAR

Hey Riny,
   Try E-bay:    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-HO-Scale-Magnet-with-Brakeman-by-Bachmann_W0QQitemZ310121854024QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item310121854024&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I just came across this one while browsing. try an E-bay search using this type of discription.

Enjoy,
                 Barry

ebtnut,  thanks for the tip, using a match book cover as a go / no-go guage.
    The more I learn, the more I find there is to know!  What a fantastic hobby!!

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

BIG BEAR

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

renniks

I prefer the Bachmann under-track which are far cheaper than the Kadee UT version and more reliable than the between rail jobs especially for delayed uncoupling -- and they are invisible. Think that the extra width of the magnet makes sure that the couplings deflect enough.
   The Bachmann U/C is big enough to be cut in half lengthwise to make two and still give reliable uncoupling. In fact I often do delayed uncoupling over a 1/2.

Eric UK

renniks

Wish someone would make a true electro-magnetic under track U/C for use on mainlines. The Kadee version is tricky to fit and not true under track -- the coil is under but the operating portion is between the rails and very conspicuous.
   Don't think Bachmann will make one as their U/C magnets are designed to fit up inside the base of EZ track.

Jim Banner

Quote from: renniks on February 18, 2009, 07:13:41 PM
  Wish someone would make a true electro-magnetic under track U/C for use on mainlines.

An alternative is a permanent magnet mounted on a lever so that it can sit up against the bottom of the track or can fall below it.  For remotely lifting it, fishing line is a good choice.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.