News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cheap Bachmann Rolling Stock

Started by lwmlwm44, February 17, 2009, 04:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwmlwm44

Hey folks.........just came back from visiting a new Hobby Shop here in town to check out their HO stuff........quite a bit...........anyway, I found these Bachmann HO cars they were selling for $3.99 each........in a Bachmann box  about 6 different styles.............box cars, cabooses, etc.   I took one out of the box and they seem pretty nice for the price.........not the detail of more expensive ones but nice for someone starting out or a youngster.

Knuckle couplers and appear to be all plastic.   

One other thing is that all of them had the same item no. on them reagardless of car style.    Item No. 76336 marked on the end ofthe box and also the style of car in it.

I bought one to bring it home and see how it runs.........anyone else seen these cheaper cars or have had any experience with them     I tried to look up the item no.  on the Bachmann site here but no record and no record of these cars in those listed on the site.

Wonder why Bachmann doesn't have them listed on the site here........maybe due to the price   I don't know.

Larry

Yampa Bob

A new store in town doesn't always mean they have current models in stock. There are probably thousands of old cars in distributor warehouses.

The newer Bachmann cars are "Silver Series", with EZMate Mark II couplers and metal wheels.  The factory close-outs have plastic wheels, but as you say, they are good for starters.  If you plan to run them a lot, suggest changing the wheelsets to metal.

I don't know why all the cars have the same number, that might be a generic lot  number for a distributor or factory close out.

One hobby shop (which I seldom patronize) has about 200 of the older Bachmann cars priced at $5.00 each, and not a single one of the new Silver Series.  The dealer also does not stock any Bachmann or Atlas locomotives, only Athearn at 10% higher than MSRP. (He adds his freight costs to all merchandise)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Could these be train set cars pulled from new sets?  Perhaps the hobby shop also sells on eBay or equivalent and breaks up sets for the locomotives and track.  That might explain them all having the same number.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

I don't know about Larry's situation, the shop I referred to doesn't sell on ebay or the internet.  In fact, the owner constantly complains to his customers about the internet shops.

The odd thing is, he's had virtually the same inventory of old Bachmann cars for several years.  I inquired about the cars at one time, he just said "Oh, Bachmann stuff is junk, you don't want those."  I also noticed the boxes all had the same stock number, but I don't recall what it was.

Rangerover

Gee as you expand and buy say the more expensive highly detailed rolling stock, they are great for practicing weathering too. That's what I used, old tyco, ahm, bachmann stuff from the 50's to 70's. LOL they sometimes look better than the good stuff when all weathered up and with better trucks and couplers!

Yampa Bob

I know what you mean. Some of my friends keep giving me old cars they pick up at yard sales for practically nothing.  I enjoy fixing them up with Kadee couplers and new trucks with metal wheels.  I have so many older cars, I don't have any room or need for boxes full of new cars.

It's very satisfying to revive an old car and put it back into operation. I don't have to weather them, they are already beat up a little.  :D

CNE Runner

I'll second Bob on his post. I frequently "haunt" train shows and look in the grubby junk boxes (usually under the tables) for older Bachmann, Pocher, AHM, IHC, Mantua, and Rivarossi 19th century rolling stock. Upon reaching home I transport these "gems-in-the-rough" to the car shop - where they are painted, distressed, weathered, have new couplers and/or coupler boxes installed, Kadee ribbed-back metal wheels,new brake staffs, and decals. What you end up with is a very decent model that stands up to all but the closest scrutiny. Let's face it folks...there ain't a lot out there for us 19th century modelers.

Bob also alludes to the other inherent problem: where does one store all these finds? Historically even the prototype roads had problems storing all their rolling stock at one time or another. It ain't easy; this business of railroadin'.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Yampa Bob

I did a quick inventory last night, on the layout there are 21 refurbished cars and only 4 new ones.

There is a handy buffet next to the layout with drawers, another 26 rebuilts with no boxes.  I have a special fondness for older boxcars with the walkway on the roof. Older tank cars with Talgo/horn-hook are a real challenge to upgrade.

Hey Larry, didn't mean to "pirate" your thread, but mention of cheap cars always gets my attention.  8)

CNE Runner

Quote from: Yampa Bob on February 18, 2009, 02:29:05 PM
I did a quick inventory last night, on the layout there are 21 refurbished cars and only 4 new ones.

There is a handy buffet next to the layout with drawers, another 26 rebuilts with no boxes.  I have a special fondness for older boxcars with the walkway on the roof. Older tank cars with Talgo/horn-hook are a real challenge to upgrade.

Bob: If I understand you correctly, you have something like 51 cars (of varying condition) in your collection. My wife would "dance on the roof" if that was my entire inventory! Therein lies another problem: when does one have enough rolling stock? I know, I know...never! But seriously, do I really need 250+ cars - many of which are confined to their boxes and never see a rail?

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Yampa Bob

Ray,
That doesn't include another 100+ new cars and car sets still in boxes. Add to that another 25 or so kits never assembled, and I'm right behind you.

The buffet won't hold them all,  so about 40 of them are on the shelves in my office. A friend recently sent me ten 80 foot+ passenger cars, all needing major repairs.  They sure don't fit my layout, but what to do with them?

Oops, just remembered another drawer full of junk cars here in the office. This is getting ridiculous.  8)

Did you get my emails?

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Yampa Bob on February 19, 2009, 04:11:22 PM
Ray,
That doesn't include another 100+ new cars and car sets still in boxes. Add to that another 25 or so kits never assembled, and I'm right behind you.

The buffet won't hold them all,  so about 40 of them are on the shelves in my office. A friend recently sent me ten 80 foot+ passenger cars, all needing major repairs.  They sure don't fit my layout, but what to do with them?

Oops, just remembered another drawer full of junk cars here in the office. This is getting ridiculous.  8)

Did you get my emails?

My "winter project" for this year was to go through the inventory of my collection with a goal of filling at least three computer paper boxes with rolling stock to be "deaccessioned." I've been slow getting started, but this week I've managed to fill one box. I'm not talking junk, here. That box includes four perfectly lovely Spectrum P.R.R. heavyweight passenger cars--wonderful models but just too long for the curves I can use in the space I have available, so they never get run. I've also got a Mantua P. & R. camelback Atlantic that I never run; she cost me a pretty penny brand new. The challenge will be to find a new home for this stuff, as I have neither the time nor the inclination to sell piece by piece on eBay.

Yampa Bob

Jeff,
"Deaccession"....."To remove and sell (a work of art) from a collection, in order to purchase other works of art".

In other words, you're gonna sell all the stuff you don't need, then you can buy a whole bunch of new stuff you don't need.  Yeah, I can relate to that.  :D

You gave me a good idea though.  Think I'll pack up some cars I don't use, but don't really want to sell.  That would "de-access" them, or "out of sight out of mind".   8)

Thanks

lwmlwm44

Dont fret about stealing my thread on this subject.........it was a job reading about all your experiences and lots of old cars and such.    I hope some day to be able and more skilled at changing wheels and couplers and such in the future.   Have done some car kits and learning on them.

You guys that have all those neat old rolling stock not being used..........how about being ambitious and putting them up on Ebay.,,,,,,,,and let the rest of us know. 

You know it would be neat to have a site here where members could maybe put up some of their stuff for sale........but don't think Bachmann would go for that idea.

Especially like these folks on ebay that make some neat dioramas and such for train layouts.........alot of them are incredably talented and imaginative in their models.

I envy them.

Regarding the cars having the same No.   I was wondering if they were cars split from train sets also...............didn't have the nerve to ask the folks in the hobby shop.    Most of them don't know diddly about trains and The "Train Man" who does usually never seems to be working on the days I go in.

Larry

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Yampa Bob on February 19, 2009, 05:30:22 PM
Jeff,
"Deaccession"....."To remove and sell (a work of art) from a collection, in order to purchase other works of art".

In other words, you're gonna sell all the stuff you don't need, then you can buy a whole bunch of new stuff you don't need.  Yeah, I can relate to that.  :D

;D Well, "deaccession" sounds so much nicer than just to say I need to get rid of them. Plus, all this stock is in good shape. I've always taken good care of my toys.  ;D

QuoteYou gave me a good idea though.  Think I'll pack up some cars I don't use, but don't really want to sell.  That would "de-access" them, or "out of sight out of mind".   8)

Thanks

If I could just do that. ...  :-\  The thing is, I really need to find a new home for this equipment because I'm out of storage room.  :-\

Yampa Bob

My problem is having too much storage space so we never get rid of stuff.  The ceiling in my office is at 9', the top 2 feet is solid shelves around all 4 walls.

The hallway outside my office is a 12 foot wide walk through to the garage, and it's all storage boxes and extra closets. If we could sell all this stuff, I'd have a 12' X 12' room for a bigger layout.

Yeah, I wish the forum had a classified section. I won't have anything to do with Ebay.  The extra cars are all new, never been out of the boxes.