News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cheap Bachmann Rolling Stock

Started by lwmlwm44, February 17, 2009, 04:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

I have been a saver & collector of stuff long before beginning this hobby.
Don't ask how many books, tapes, DVDs & CDs I've acquired!  After years of not finding a use for something, I may discard it.  Shortly thereafter, it happens, too often, that I discover a use for it.   :-\

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: WGL on February 20, 2009, 03:23:27 AM
  I have been a saver & collector of stuff long before beginning this hobby.
Don't ask how many books, tapes, DVDs & CDs I've acquired!  After years of not finding a use for something, I may discard it.  Shortly thereafter, it happens, too often, that I discover a use for it.   :-\

I've noticed that happens to me, too. Must be some immutable law of nature:  The longer something sits around unused, the shorter the time after you dispose of it till you find a use for it. :-\

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Yampa Bob on February 20, 2009, 02:07:57 AM
My problem is having too much storage space so we never get rid of stuff.  The ceiling in my office is at 9', the top 2 feet is solid shelves around all 4 walls.

The hallway outside my office is a 12 foot wide walk through to the garage, and it's all storage boxes and extra closets. If we could sell all this stuff, I'd have a 12' X 12' room for a bigger layout.

Yeah, I wish the forum had a classified section. I won't have anything to do with Ebay.  The extra cars are all new, never been out of the boxes.

Well, Bob, if you've got all that room, how 'bout if I just ship a couple of computer-paper boxes of rolling stock out to you? Nature abhors a vacuum, and your stuff will always expand to fill all available space.  ;D

Yampa Bob

When we built this garage 10 years ago (26' X 50') we had lots of room. A dividing wall separates the vehicle area from 5 rooms (pump room, tool room, parts and hardware store room, hallway and office.) But as you say, a vacuum no longer exists.  "Oh, we might need that someday".. Yeah right.  >:(

I have about 36' of sit down work bench in my office/shop, but that too is slowly diminishing. 

Maybe we should all get together for a "swap meet".  Sure Jeff, ship it over, just don't tape the boxes too tightly.  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

grumpy

I used to be part of the Antique  Outboard Motor Club . As part of their website the ran a classified ad section . I think it might work with this forum. Have a look.
Don

Yampa Bob

It would also help if the PM feature worked, then we could at least send messages without exposing our email addresses.

CNE Runner

First things first: Bob, yes I finally did get an email from you and you should have received a reply.

I agree with your comments on eBay. I usually resort to surfing eBay when I am tired of looking at the cracks in the den walls. Yes, there are lots of good items, on auction, but the playing field is not as level as you may think it is. There are "snyping programs" out there that will enter a bid for you at the last possible second. This means those of us who are watching the bidding process may not have a chance at winning. Additionally, some of the bids that are offered are ridiculous (how about $20 for a used Bachmann old-time gondola that doesn't include shipping?). As with anything that is shipped, the shipping rates are getting out of hand. I wanted to bid/purchase some Microscale decals @ $4.50 (a good price); but decided not to because the shipping was another $4.80 (Priority Mail...like I need decals the next day)...what ever happened to 1st and 3rd Class mail?

[Get back to the thread topic Ray.] My wife and I started vendoring at model railroad shows to get rid of the remaining parts of my once extensive Lionel collection. We found we really liked the companionship of the other vendors and the interaction with other model railroaders. Our booth now consists of almost as much HO items as Lionel/K-Line/MTH. My point is: why not gather all those siding and roundhouse queens and buy a table at your next local train show? Keep in mind that you are trying to get rid of your excess inventory as well as rolling the earnings into something new...price the items accordingly. The plus side of this action is that you will come home from the show with at least a couple new items (probably obtained on set-up night on a vendor-to-vendor discount).

You can find me crawling underneath a vendor's tables - looking for all the old, cheap 1800s stuff...and speaking of small, crowded benches (not that YOU would know Bob LOL)

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Yampa Bob

I've learned to not elaborate on work benches.  I once posted a picture of my work area and was immediately ostracized by the membership.

Unfortunately, train shows are seldom held in my area.  Actually I prefer placing items on consignment at a large store, such as Caboose Hobbies.  Then I don't have to deal with cheapskates that expect to buy new cars at half price.

Considering the fact that I bought most of the cars two years ago, before the large price increases of 2008, I could knock 10% off what I paid, and the buyer would still get a bargain.

Don't laugh, we recently sold a welding outfit for $800, we only paid $400 for it ten years ago. Before moving to our new ranch, we had a yard sale / auction and netted over $4,000, very few items sold for less than we originally paid.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Yampa Bob on February 20, 2009, 09:22:03 PM
Maybe we should all get together for a "swap meet".  Sure Jeff, ship it over, just don't tape the boxes too tightly.  :D

:D  Careful, Bob, I just might!  ;D

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: CNE Runner on February 21, 2009, 11:59:19 AM
I agree with your comments on eBay. I usually resort to surfing eBay when I am tired of looking at the cracks in the den walls. Yes, there are lots of good items, on auction, but the playing field is not as level as you may think it is. There are "snyping programs" out there that will enter a bid for you at the last possible second. This means those of us who are watching the bidding process may not have a chance at winning.

Don't mean to go all-OT on you guys, but just had to mention that I believe I fell victim to one of these programs just recently. I found a very nice collection of old Gilbert HO track--with roadbed--and decided to bid in order to "restore" the track to the Gilbert HO North Coast Limited passenger set that I've had since childhood (the track got thrown away years ago). I was the highest bidder with literally seconds to go, and--BOOM! Got outbid.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Yampa Bob on February 21, 2009, 04:29:52 PM
Unfortunately, train shows are seldom held in my area.  Actually I prefer placing items on consignment at a large store, such as Caboose Hobbies.  Then I don't have to deal with cheapskates that expect to buy new cars at half price.

My situation is similar but complicated by living in the heart of downtown Philadelphia. I don't have a car because I don't need one on a daily basis and so it would be just a huge waste of money to have one.

But it makes it difficult to get to train shows, which are invariable held in the suburbs somewhere.

BIG BEAR

Hey Folks,
    Does anyone use a computer program to organize and inventory-document their train & or layout stuff? If so which ones? Maybe give links.
Or would this allow the wife to see what you have. This could be a good tool as when your gone she'll know what it's worth.

Thanks,
                 Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Yampa Bob

Barry,
Yes there is such a program.  My son, who collects slot cars, sent me a link to a free program to keep inventory of trains. The site has lots of other useful utilities.

http://www.gregorybraun.com/RRTrains.html 

BIG BEAR

Thanks Bob,
   Here is the one I've been looking for all day:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Model-Railway-Collection-Image-Database-Software-CDROM_W0QQitemZ370159619284QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Railways?hash=item370159619284&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
    I found it on E-bay, not in my bookmarks or favorites. Now to decide if I want this one and modify for all my Bldgs, or order the one for Bldgs. and modify it for trains.
              Enjoy,
                   Barry

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

CNE Runner

Barry...STOP and back away from the computer!! You do realize that the inventory program you are interested in (or did you buy it as eBay says "bidding has ended on this item"?) is for sale in Australia? I have used an inventory program from Model Tech Inc. with limited results. Yampa Bob has found another FREE program that will probably do the same thing (I will check this out Bob). The basic problem with any of these inventory programs is your level of commitment. Are you going to add and delete items religiously? What is the pay-off for all this time (in other words: Do you really want to know how much you have spent on your hobby?). Wouldn't a 3x5" set of index cars do the same thing?

What I am saying is that it just makes good sense to have a purpose for all this "busy work". A number of years ago I had an extensive Lionel collection (I am still selling portions of it) and my insurance carrier required an updated collection inventory every six months. Given this requirement, a list-generating database was both efficient and needed. With the possible exception of duplication,  there is little need, beyond a personal desire, to keep a list. I will (and suggest that you also) check out Yampa Bob's database suggestion...it can't hurt. Another option (for those of you who suffer from OCD) would be to use MS Access or Excel to generate your own lists. Do keep in mind the level of commitment and the fact that the database is never done.

Good luck and let us know how you make out on this project,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"