News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc layout

Started by mf5117, February 19, 2009, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

i have 1 f40ph, 3 h16-44, 1 gp50. 2 gp40. 2 gp35. 1 gp30, 1 sd45 all bachmann. i love the dcc on board. in this day of $200 locomotives, it's nice to get one with dcc for $50 or so......the only problems i have ever had with them is getting my digitrax to program the bachmann/lenz decoders.

those who think these are toys do not remember the crap AHM and tyco were putting out in the 70s.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

SteamGene

The point is that the layout, while designed to use EZ-Track, uses curves suitable for Marx or Lionel trains.  Going to the website, any visitor will see that most of the layout is dedicated to tinplate.  This is not a slam on Marx, Lionel, or tinplate in general - it's a simple fact - S curves for body mounted couplers are dangerous.  The solution is, as stated, to put in a straight section as long as the longest car (can be loner) between the curves. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jward

does anybody know if there is track planning software for ez track layouts, similar to what atlas has on their website? if so i could redraw the plan to eliminate those s curves. i have noticed that many of the layouts on that site have the same flaw though with some minor rearrangement of track most could easily be cured.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Rangerover

Quote from: jward on February 24, 2009, 02:28:56 PM
i have 1 f40ph, 3 h16-44, 1 gp50. 2 gp40. 2 gp35. 1 gp30, 1 sd45 all bachmann. i love the dcc on board. in this day of $200 locomotives, it's nice to get one with dcc for $50 or so......the only problems i have ever had with them is getting my digitrax to program the bachmann/lenz decoders.

those who think these are toys do not remember the crap AHM and tyco were putting out in the 70s.

Oh how well I remember, LOL, I still got them old crappy stuff from even the 50's. I stil have them. I can't comment on the lenz decoder problem programing for digitrax. I use Bachmann EZ command!

Gene.. sorry, now I know what you see that I didn't before. I had an S curve in the worst possible place, just before it switched on to my removable bridge between isle's. I had to move the switch back 12" and put in a straight piece. Can't have S curves!

Nathan

Jeffery,

Cadrail has the Bachmann HO Scale library built in.

http://sandiasoftware.com/

mf5117

i will make the adjustments as needed .i had a layout with some s curves .and a couple of switches involved .i rearanged my rolling stock .and also i dont run 100% throttle . and then i took out and re-did my layout again .hmmmmmm how come i always want more with this hobby .bigger and more more more .i am getting my load of track thursday .will put down my foam get the track down then will make the adjustments . i dont care for my 1st real attempt at this other than when i was a kid . for now i love my bachmann dcc . i bought another yard loco today and 2 more rolling stock . i did find some 60' passenger cars i was looking for .but am being patient . i will ask again thursday when i get my track and laid down . thanks to all . regards :mark f

Joe Satnik

Mark,

You said on another thread:

"i did notice that the ez track does have some rail alignment issues ."

One thing I did see in jward's reply:

"use a right hand switch in place of the curve at the right end of the runaround track".

Note that the curve portion of a "remote switch" is moved up the 9" straight portion by 1-1/2".  (Lay an 18" full curve on top of a "remote switch" to see this.)

This means that a remote switch is not a drop in replacement for a curve, and will cause track alignment problems if you try. 

A 1-1/2" fitter piece would help with symmetry elsewhere on the layout, (a common piece with Atlas Snap Track), but the design of EZ-Track does not allow less than a 2" fitter.

Another thing, the thortrains layout looks longer than 8', it wouldn't fit on your sheet. 

You may need to replace a 3" straight on the very top center with a 2" straight (only available with the newer 90 degree crossing). 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

mf5117

right track free ware . i was looking at a layout or 2 .i got it when i googled .ho ez track layouts .and on the site it has a green background and the layouts look like 3 1/2 floopys for the files. and actually for being free . they do have tracks sizes inserts for scenery . its preety coool . i will look again for the site that had the layouts .but you can download the program and see the format . its  a cad program . i got to go to bed just got the gf home from the hospital neck sergery and i got to go to work tonight . right track free ware .... have a good day i gotta go to bed . thanks to all who helped me with my derails . still waiting for my 4-8-4 . hopes its  here tommorrow .    happy rails to youuuuuu   regards   mark f