News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Amfleet couplers

Started by cfquinlan, February 19, 2009, 09:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cfquinlan

I heard a rumor that Bachman was going to start putting knuckle style couplers on the Amfleet cars.  Is there an truth to this?  PLEASE SAY YES!  And if so, will you sell conversion kits for those of us who already have units with the rapido couplers?  Thanks!

Chris

the Bach-man

Dear Chris,
We've been putting the dummy knuckles on for quite a while now.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

herc driver

I'm confused... ???

You mean there's Amfleet cars out there right now with dummy knuckle couplers on them?  That's good news.  But I travel the entire country and haven't seen them yet anywhere, and everytime my local hobby store orders me a car (I now have seven), they come with the rapido coupler.  When and where were these released?  Will there be a conversion coupler released or available to remove the rapido-style coupler of the older cars?  What about a dummy knuckle coupler for the matching HHP8?

But maybe more importantly, have the trucks been improved to allow the cars to move easier?  (As reflected in other past threads), these are great looking cars, but the friction of the metal lighting kit pickups do not allow more than two cars to be pulled by an HHP8 on a level - zero grade layout.  Three cars will make the engine wheels slip, and four cars is impossible to move.  I hate to remove the metal lighting pickups since the lighting is a really great feature.

the Bach-man

Dear  Herc,
yes, they've been available for some time now. Check with a dealer with newer stock.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

herc driver

WOW!  Thanks for the info.  And this is for Nscale Amfleet cars - because every website I've visited except one indicates the Nscale Amfleet cars have rapido couplers and not a knuckle coupler.  And the Bachmann website shows knuckle couplers on the cars but rapido couplers on the engine.  So I'm confused.    ???   (Only one retailer's website listed the HHP8 and Amfleet cars as having knuckle couplers - but the listing looked like a "cut-and-paste" from their HO ad for the same items.)   If the Nscale cars have the knuckle couplers, is it possible to switch out the rapido style couplers for the new knuckles?  And even on the HHP8?  Or am I stuck with the rapido's forever?  And have the trucks of the Amfleet cars been improved to roll easier?  Or is there a fix to improve them?

cfquinlan

Bachman,

Do you sell the couplers seperatly so we can convert our older cars?  I have about 12, so I'd rather not have to rebuy the whole car again just to get the couplers.  Thanks!

Chris

cfquinlan

Bachman,

Sorry to ask again, but is there a way to order the knuckle couplers for units we bought with rapido couplers?  Thanks,

Chris

hobo1

go to microtrains website, they make couplers and wheelsets for alot of brand name trains

Conrail Quality

Micro-trains has no conversion for the Amfleets.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

TCWORLD

Quote from: Conrail Quality on March 06, 2009, 11:33:37 PM

Timothy

Although they dont say that they have a conversion, the chance are that there will be one that they make which will work.
They dont have a conversion for the H16-44, but a pair of #2004's work like a charm (you have to tap a hole of course, but you can get drill&tap set from them), and i have a feeling that the pilots from the #1046 will work without adaption, though i havent tried it.
You need to look here: http://www.micro-trains.com/Coupler%20diagrams.pdf and see if any of them would fit the amtrack cars. I havent seen how teh amtrack coupler pockets are shaped so i couldnt tell you which.
Tom

-~The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time~-

hobo1

cf, I have bachmann amfleets and con cor amfleets the bachmanns are a little nicer car. I use a material handling car with my amfleets. the concors have microtrains couplers. tc is right microtrains is probably working on making couplers for the amfleets , they should because they are a popular and good passenger car

cfquinlan

Quote from: TCWORLD on March 07, 2009, 10:23:07 AM
Quote from: Conrail Quality on March 06, 2009, 11:33:37 PM

Timothy

Although they dont say that they have a conversion, the chance are that there will be one that they make which will work.
They dont have a conversion for the H16-44, but a pair of #2004's work like a charm (you have to tap a hole of course, but you can get drill&tap set from them), and i have a feeling that the pilots from the #1046 will work without adaption, though i havent tried it.
You need to look here: http://www.micro-trains.com/Coupler%20diagrams.pdf and see if any of them would fit the amtrack cars. I havent seen how teh amtrack coupler pockets are shaped so i couldnt tell you which.

TCWorld,

There are no pockets, it is an arm the goes around the boogie and follows contours along the bottom of the frame to the end of the car.  It is extremely unique to the Bachman Amfleet cars.  I don't think I would have much luck body mounting couplers for every single car and be able to run all 12 of my cars at the same time without decoupling and maybe even derailing.  Plus, that is a very costly conversion for a car (x12) that already is pretty expensive.    I'm really hoping that Bachman will get back to us on this with how to get a hold of the factory built knuckle couplers (-:
v/r
Chris

cfquinlan

Quote from: hobo1 on March 08, 2009, 11:58:46 AM
cf, I have bachmann amfleets and con cor amfleets the bachmanns are a little nicer car. I use a material handling car with my amfleets. the concors have microtrains couplers. tc is right microtrains is probably working on making couplers for the amfleets , they should because they are a popular and good passenger car

That would be great if they made a specific conversion!  I would be more willing to take that route and not worry so much about the cost if they were specific designed for the Amfleet cars.  What I would hate (as I said above) is to buy a body mount solution and for it to not work great... thats a lot of money for something that doesn't work well!

Chris