News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC OnBoard 0-6-0's?

Started by Steam Freak, February 19, 2009, 11:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam Freak

I was wondering if any of the smaller steam engines will be made with DCC OnBoard? I've always wanted to have a small steam switcher like a 0-6-0, but with a DCC chip installed.

Or something to be made like this maybe?

richG

Here is an example. What you want is a decoder not a chip. Chips are on the decoder.

http://litchfieldstation.com/DCC-University/install/HOS/Bachmann-Saddle-Tank-LE010XF.htm

With what ever loco you use, measure the current draw, isolate the motor terminals and hard wire in a decoder following the NMRA standards. Very tight inside a small switcher and make sure you have pickups on all drivers. The Spectrum 0-6-0T comes with a 9 pin JST connector but now enough room to plug in a decoder. You have to hard wire it. The loco has pickups on all drivers. I have the Spectrum 0-6-0T.

I have seen a DCC sound install in a Spectrum 0-6-0T but it is not for the faint of heart.

Rich

Steam Freak

I know what DCC is. I've been doing model trains since I was 3 years old, and DCC for over 8 years. FYI, a decoder is a small chip.

I don't think you understood my question. I'm asking if Bachmann will ever make OnBoard DCC 0-6-0's.

Yampa Bob

According to a preview on Tony Cook's resource site, Bachmann has a Spectrum DCC on board 0-6-0 in the 2009 lineup, don't know the exact release date.

Hope this helps.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Yampa Bob

Well, look at the picture Steam Freak posted, isn't that a "T"?   ???

Might as well get used to the "chip" thingie.  I hear young people referring to cell phones as a chip....as in "Got a chip on the hip" or "got text on my chip".

Can a person give a "Raspberry" on a "Blackberry"?   8)

OkieRick

Someone take a look here & tell me if it's a 0-6-0 with a Vanderbilt tender or a 0-6-0T.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1640

Is it here?  Available?  0-6-0 with DCC onboard?  Yes, it has no elephant ears but X-acto and Hobby Lobby can fix that.

Rick
-
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Yampa Bob

I think that's the one from the standard line they upgraded with a decoder, then bundled it with the EZ Command controller.  I understand the new 0-6-0 will be a Spectrum. 

The preview didn't specifically say it will be a tank version, so I'll reserve any comment on that until it's released.

SteamGene

Okie, what you have pictured is an 0-6-0.  It is a Standard and runs nicely.  However, unless they have done something recently the front coupler is a dummy.  While I realize I might invoke the rath of the Bach-man, I'd suggest looking at the Proto 2000 USRA 0-6-0.  I think its about the same price. 
Any loco ending with "T" does not have a tender.  The "T" stands for "tank" and the fuel and water supply for the locomotive is an integral part of it. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

Quote from: SteamGene on February 22, 2009, 05:42:51 PM
Okie, what you have pictured is an 0-6-0.  It is a Standard and runs nicely.  However, unless they have done something recently the front coupler is a dummy.  While I realize I might invoke the rath of the Bach-man, I'd suggest looking at the Proto 2000 USRA 0-6-0.  I think its about the same price. 
Any loco ending with "T" does not have a tender.  The "T" stands for "tank" and the fuel and water supply for the locomotive is an integral part of it. 
Gene

Better check your prices, the Bachmann 0-6-0 has a MSRP of $75 and the Proto $250. This is the price without DCC or sound.  While the Proto certainly has more detail I find the pricing too steep for my budget.

You will find a the same price relationship with the Berkshires as well.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/920-31772

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-50711

Pacific Northern

SteamGene

PN,
The price you quote for the Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 is the standard, without DCC.  With DCC it is more.  Whether the Bachmann without is DCC ready, I don't know. 
The Proto 2-8-4s are not good haulers at all.  The Bachmann does a much better job and has an operating front coupler.  It's main problem, to me, is the Bachmann K-4 doesn't have a footboard pilot like it should.  But the Proto doesn't either.  The C&O was practical.  All freight locomotives had footboard pilots. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Steam Freak

Thats good to hear Yampa Bob! If Bachmann does indeed put out Spectrum 0-6-0's with DCC, I can't wait too see them!

Yampa Bob

I think we are all anxiously looking forward to the 2009 lineup. If the 0-6-0 is indeed a tank engine, then I will probably buy a couple also.  It depends on the road names, I'm sure there will be a UP or Rio Grande, or even an SP, all of which fits my roster.

I don't really need any more steamers with tenders.

Regards.

Stephen D. Richards

Gene, can you make the footboards?  I just made one to repair a 2-8-0- for WM.  Wasn't to difficult and looks pretty good too.  If you've got the stockpile like I do, maybe a little robbing Peter to pay Paul!  I buy a lot of junk and then have a blast at taking them apart and storing the spare parts.

Bob, what'cha mean you don't need any more?  lol    ;D

Yampa Bob

I think it happened in a dream.  A familiar soft voice kept repeating, "You don't need any more steamers".....Sleep hypnosis?  Subliminal?