News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Questions about the Bachmann 0-6-0T

Started by NevinW, March 23, 2007, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevinW

I am in the process of designing a Tonopah and Tidewater railroad in HO.  The Tecopa RR, literally a 1 engine mining road interchanged with the T&T so it would be neat to add it to my design.  It had a 7% grade in one area.  It was really a minimal road. 

The Bachmann Spectrum 0-6-0T bears a passing resemblance to the Tecopa RR's engine.  How well does it run?  Easy to add DCC?  How does it behave on very tight curves - 15" ?  Could it be modified into a 2-6-2T?  I have not seen one of these up close, how does the detail  compare to the 4-6-0 and 2-8-0?  Thanks -  Nevin

Jim Banner

Nicely detailed, runs smoothly and quietly.  DCC can be installed, but if you have not installed decoders before or at least done some wiring in tight spaces, then you might not want to select this locomotive as a first installation.  I am not sure about the 15" radius.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

It is a very light engine that needs weight but there is no place to put it. It stalled on a 2% curve pulling an Ambroid passenger car, not good. Traction tires would do more harm than good as you need all the wheels for electrical pick up. It should handle 15" curves but don't expect it to haul much.

Nigel

15" radius - no problem

DCC - there are solder pads for hardwiring a decoder.  They are closely spaced.  You will need a good very fine tip soldering iron, and most likely a lighted magnifier.  Wired versions of TCS M-1, Digitrax DZ123, DZ143, Lenz Gold Mini and others will fit.

Pulling power leaves something to be desired.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

NevinW

Since I won't have any grades and it will not have to carry anything more than a few ore cars it sounds like it will work perfectly.  I have experience in soldering leads in tight spaces so that doesn't worry me.   Any room for a sound decoder and speaker?  -  Nevin

rikc9

Hi Nevin

I do not have that Spectrum model but I did a Yahoo search for 0-6-0T dcc sound and came up with quite a few links so I know some have done this. Do a search. You will find some usefull information.

rikc9

John Murphy

I have the 0-6-0T and it worked well on 15" radius curves.  On a flat curve, mine pulled 3 or 4 cars.  Works well on DC.  Had it converted to DCC by my hobby shop, but haven't converted test track to DCC.  Have never tried a 7% grade, and don't plan to.  Might have to double-head to push/pull one car....
JM

jon grant 4472

Nice model and compares well alongside other spectrums. Heres a few photo

I'm one of the idiots that soundchipped an 0-6-0. here is some old video of it in action. The synch was a bit off, so I'll reshoot it soon (especially as the Railimages site where it lives will be disappearing soon

http://www.railimages.com/gallery/album508/aah

Jon

Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

Jim Banner

What a beautiful background to show it off against.  Your movie and your modelling are A-one.  I hope when you find a new home for your movie that you will add to it and show us more of your wonderful railroad.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.