News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Larger On30 Shay

Started by ShayNut, February 23, 2009, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShayNut

How many On30 modelers would like to see a larger Shay? Something along the line of the 3 cylinder, 38 ton version offered in 1:20.3. While the 2 cylinder T-boiler Shay is a great loco, it is a little on the small side sitting beside the 28 ton Climax in my fleet.

Tomcat

Sure - I would love to have a bigger, more "modern" Shay.
The T-Boiler is a nice lokie, but something bigger would be cool!

Definitely support this idea!
After we´ll have a Heisler... ;) ;) ;)

Cheers, Tom :D

Linzthom

Heisler 1st, please and thank you !!!!!
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

ossygobbin

not really.
would rather have SRRL no 24

Tomcat

Ossy, to tell you a secret: ME TOO!!!! Would love to have SRRL No.24....

Cheers, Tom :) :)

Hamish K

I agree that there is a case for a larger two truck Shay, if it were to happen personally I would prefer about 28 tons - although there were two truck Shays of up to about 42 tons on the 30 inch gauge.

However I am not sure that it should be a top priority for the next locomotive, given the existing Shay and a 3 truck due to come out  from another maker. For a geared locomotive I would have thought a type not made at all would have priority, which means a Heisler (the obvious choice) or a Class A Climax, which is a very different locomotive than the Class B Climax made by Bachmann and is a personal favourite of mine.

Given that no new geared locomotives have come out since the Climax I would have thought that it was time for another geared locomotive. If a rod locomotive was to be made I agree that the Sandy River  #24 is a good choice - outside frame 2-6-2s fairly similar to this loco were exported to various places including Mexico and in varoius gauges including 30 inch, so it would be a good companion for the OF 4-4-0 and OF 2-8-0 as well as pleasing Maine fans.

However I also think that there is a gap in the line-up for a tank loco larger than the Porters, such as the various Hawaian  0-6-2ts or 2-6-2ts that have been discussed previously. It might be possible to make both a tender and tank version of an OF 2-6-2 using many common components.

So a larger two truck Shay would be desirable some-time, but probably not just yet.

Hamish

drgw268

MMI has announced larger shays to be produced in that hazy time known as "the future", so Bachmann isn't allowed to make any.

az2rail

But who knows if MMI  will make it, and even worse, can we afford it. I think there is a market here for a larger shay by Bachmann. I'm up for one.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

ossygobbin

"MMI has announced larger shays to be produced in that hazy time known as "the future", so Bachmann isn't allowed to make any."

says who?

Hamish K

Quote from: ossygobbin on February 24, 2009, 05:21:45 PM
"MMI has announced larger shays to be produced in that hazy time known as "the future", so Bachmann isn't allowed to make any."

says who?

Nobody said it except drgw 268.

Hamish

lenelg

The current Shay is really too small for a logging railroad, so I would love to see a ca 28 ton, three cylinder Shay (like the Santa Barbara Tie&Pole Shay once done by PSC).

What MMI seems to be contemplating is a WSLCo, three-truck Shay, really too big for a 30 inch gauge operation.

A Class A Climax would also be neat, and of course the engineering on the trucks is already done..

I can see that a Heisler would appeal to the collector's market who want "one of everything" to display in a glass case, but for an operating model railroad they have a much more narrow appeal than a proper sized Shay ..

I model an 1883 logging railroad that was here in Allegan Michigan. For your needs and others the current Shay may be too small. For the Allegan & Lake Shore R.R. it is correct and just needed some backdating ( remove generator, add a box head light, a diamond stack and a wood cow catcher. Many, many logging railroads used these smaller Shay. Remember there would be no larger Shay if Mr. Shay had not started building the small ones right here in Michigan.
I agree you would not want to go to big.
I also agree a Class A Climax would nice

Hamish K

Quote from: lenelg on March 05, 2009, 09:45:41 AM
).

What MMI seems to be contemplating is a WSLCo, three-truck Shay, really too big for a 30 inch gauge operation.

Braden Copper Co. in Chile had 30 inch gauge 3 truck Shays that were the same size as those WSLCo locos  - as far as I know these were the largest 30 inch gauge Shays. I agree though that if Bachmann were to produce another Shay a 2 truck 28 ton would be preferable.

While there were more Shays, I would have thought there were enough narrow gauge Heislers for these to have reasonable appeal - but desirability is in the eyes of the beholder!

Hamish

renniks

Quote from: lenelg on March 05, 2009, 09:45:41 AM

A Class A Climax would also be neat, and of course the engineering on the trucks is already done..

Given the number of broken gears that are being reported, even on new out of box locos, it seems that the "engineering" needs a rethink.

Eric UK