TBII,Smoke Unit, and series wiring

Started by Sunrise Special, February 23, 2009, 08:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunrise Special

Bach man,

Is there any discussion about changing out the smoke units, replacing the TBII to a horn like the one in Lionel Conventional Classics and wiring the engines in series (for a brighter headlight and slower operation)?  If these adjustments could be made it would make my day! Don't get me wrong...I still love the Williams by Bachman product!!

Thanks,

Sunrise

the Bach-man

Dear Sunrise,
I'll pass this on to Three Rail.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Sunrise Special

3rail

Hi Sunrise,

Everyone has more features that they would like to see.  Our goal is to provide an affordable product with enough features that make the product desirable in the market.  When we start to add every advanced feature that the competition has in more expensive products, our products will increase in price as well. I attend a lot of shows and find that if you ask ten people what they would like to see you get ten different answers.  My next question is "how much would you be willing to pay for this feature?", and most want it for no additional cost.

To answer your three concerns:

1. Better Smoke:  I have looked at this before and this would require a significant increase in cost per unit.  This is probably not going to happen unless costs decrease.

2. Improved sound on TBII: With improvements in electronics, we may be able to make this happen in future models.

3. Series wiring: I am working on an easy and inexpensive solution to this.

Regards,
3rail

Casey_Jones

Thanks for the update 3rd Rail,  I appreciate and respect the reasons you have provided for not making certain changes. 

okiechoochoo

Thanks 3 Rail for you interest and reply.  I fully understand the cost element but do appreciate some changes you have made like adding the second motor to the Goldem Memories Alco units, which allows for series wiring.  After having said that I support and hope you can make the simple solution for putting series wiring in your dual motored locomotives.
Thanks agains for a great product.

Okiechoochoo

cfourrier

I notice that you guys offer the TBII units and motor upgrades as speparate sale itme.  How about using that option for allowing us to acquire better smoke units, sound cards, etc.?

Pull and play options would be great for modelers that run WBB - yet it would not increase the price on the locos for the general public.

Just an idea...

Clay

DominicMazoch

K-Line used to have a switch which would allow one to go from parallel to series and back without any modes.

Maybe WBB could have this swich on the e-unit board, and one could take the body off, flip switch, body on.  Then no mods to the body or frame.

Or an e-unit you could replace that is in series to begin with.  For those who want the current setup great, those who want series can order it.

ripley manor

I will also jump on the wiring dual motors in series bandwagon. I already do it even although it voids the warranty. the improved running makes it worthwhile.

DominicMazoch

What does the switch fron P to S do to the loco?  Slow it down?  give it more torque?

Joe Satnik

Dear DM,

It slows the loco down by halving the voltage to its 2 motors, giving it better low speed control.   

Lionel type transformers immediately jump from 0 to about 5 volts AC.  During throttle down, this assures a "drop out" of the old mechanical E-units, which allows them to catch the next cog of their "forward, neutral, reverse, neutral" wheel.  Next power up, the e-unit solenoid pulls in, causing the direction wheel to rotate 90 degrees to its next "direction" position.     

The Williams electronic reversing board takes the place of the old E-units.

This board, along with the efficient and quiet twin DC motors, flies out of the starting gate at 5 volts.

It's a trade-off between low speed control (series wired) and high speed-high power (parallel wired).

You would not want to make this change if you ran long (heavy) trains at high speeds. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Santik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

DominicMazoch

That is true of Lionel CONV transformers.  However, in TMCC in conv. mode, you can set stall voltage so it matches what the engine can do.  I can get PW and W/WBB's down to a crawl with them!

Garfield

Quote from: 3rail on February 27, 2009, 09:49:07 AM
Hi Sunrise,

Everyone has more features that they would like to see.  Our goal is to provide an affordable product with enough features that make the product desirable in the market.  When we start to add every advanced feature that the competition has in more expensive products, our products will increase in price as well. I attend a lot of shows and find that if you ask ten people what they would like to see you get ten different answers.  My next question is "how much would you be willing to pay for this feature?", and most want it for no additional cost.

To answer your three concerns:

1. Better Smoke:  I have looked at this before and this would require a significant increase in cost per unit.  This is probably not going to happen unless costs decrease.

2. Improved sound on TBII: With improvements in electronics, we may be able to make this happen in future models.

3. Series wiring: I am working on an easy and inexpensive solution to this.

Regards,
3rail
cool
I am thrilled to hear that better sound may be on the way.
I am not expecting "real life digital sound with 999  different steps.  Something like the original True Sounds would rock.
Am am glad to hear that major changes are not coming.  I like having one company that makes trains that doesn't make you pay for for some Command control system.

CandO

I am very happy with my WBB.
They make a great quality product. I am planning on buying another one soon.

I would much rather have two WBBs that have less features for the same price that would only get me one engine of the other brands.

The more I here people talk about Williams makes me more glad that I bought one.
Keep up the good work WBB.

Bill Mutch

I would like to see or should I say hear the TBII with out the on going horn sound. Play on command instead of the crossing signal. And also the bell and horn to run at the same time.
Smoke units with fans are nice but I don't think they are that important.
As far as wiring change, I have no problem with the way they are now. I use a MTH 4000 and have no problem running Williams engines slow.
I bye and run Williams for what they are now. A dependable toy train that has power and doesn't have the junk that breaks down. Low up keep so I can enjoy the hobby with good looks.
GOT TO LOVE WILLIAMS!