electrical pick up on coal tender of K27

Started by b/e railroad, April 26, 2009, 04:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b/e railroad

I have recently received a Denver and Rio Grande Westerns K27 for my birthday on the 20th of April and I'm just wondering why my coal tender doesn't have any electrical pick ups?

Udo

Hey !

I had the same problem.....

They are not visable from downside in contrary to the description....

Just open the tender and have a look at the electric mainboard.

On each corner is a cable which just runs down to the boogies.

Hope, that helps !

Jon D. Miller

I understand the that question of K-27 tender electrical pickups has been asked and answered.

This is a picture of the electrical pickups on the K-27 tender.

Now, I know what follows will no doubt seem unkind or whatever.  One has to wonder if anyone ever reads the owners manual and views video that is provided with a new locomotive.

In the case of the K-27, Bachmann addresses in its lubrication information using Conducta on electrical pickups.  The video for the K-27 illustrates adding Conducta to the tender pickups.  A review of the documentation and video provided was very clear as relates to electrical pickup on the tender.

Point is, you'd be surprised at the information provided on this locomotive.  Taking a few moments to review supplied documentation would have provided the answer related to tender electrical pickup.  When all else fails, read and review supplied documentation.

If anyone's feathers are ruffled by this posting I apologize

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Udo

Hello JD,

may be, you have an "old" K27.

My tender does not have these big visible connections.

Sorry, I cannot add a pic, don't know how.

But if you unscrea 4 very small srews from the cross beam, you can see the electrical connection.

The pick up goes via the shaft bearings and the outside boogie frame to the middle and then to the inside of the tender.

My manual also shows the "old" connections. But the "new" ones are much more nice, because you don't see anything despite you opne the described srews.

I think, the Bachmann should know about that !?

Thanks,

Udo

Udo

Hi,

the answer from JD doesn't meet your point.

As described earlier, there is some update in the power supply of the K27 tender, I suppose.

I bought my K27 end of last year at Bachmann Shanghai (China).

The power supply on my tender is very contrary to the manual.

You cannot see it from downside. The cables come from the inside of the tender and run stright down in the cross beam of the boogie, only visible after opening the cover (4 small srews) on the cross beam. From there they run to the outside frames (metal). That means the power goes via the bearings to the outside frames and the by cable to the inside of the tender.

Sorry I would have sent some picture in the disasseembled condition to show the situation, but sinec days, the servers tells me "the uploade is full" so I cannot attach a picture.

I hope, the description helps anyway.

May be the Bachmann has some pictures of this kind of power supply?!

Udo

Tony Walsham

This is the second version of the K-27 tender truck.

It is supplied on the second batch of K-27's that have the new counterweights fitted and a good way of identifying the locos with the new counterweights.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Kevin Strong

Quote from: Tony Walsham on April 30, 2009, 04:07:51 AM
...a good way of identifying the locos with the new counterweights.
I think it would be safe to say if you've got the new trucks, you've got the new counterweights, but not vice versa. If you've got the new counterweights, you may still have the old trucks. Such is the case, at least, with the one on my shelf.   

Later,

K

b/e railroad

I would like to thank Udo and Tony Walsham for there help. The tender i have is the up dated version with out updated paper work.Thankyou again b/e railroad