News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

peco turnouts

Started by ken black, March 24, 2007, 08:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seasaltchap

SL-E199 is Peco's Electrofrog Code 75 Asymmetric 3 Way Turnout.

In pairs and in a short length, a pair can provide excellent pointwork at the end of island platforms to serve cross between up/down, and into the far side of platforms.

Things to be bought in pairs:

1. Clamps.
2. Bottles of wine.
and
3.  Model railway turnouts.

Regards
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

jsmvmd

Sheldon, Nigel, et al:

Please elucidate re: powered vs non-powered frogs for DCC.  The most recent article I read on DCC is by Lionel Strang, who stated he preferred powered frogs for DCC.

Having read your responses, I am confused about choosing powered or non-powered turnouts for my new and first HO layout.

Any help would be appreciated. I will probably take Nigel's advice and try several to see which I like best.

On Hal Minkwicz's site he shows how he fixed Atlas turnout conduction problems with brass shims near the points, I believe.

Thank you, all. 

Best, Jack

Atlantic Central

jsmvmd,

First, I do not use DCC so all my info on that is based on what others I know are doing.

Second it is important that you understand how each of the three different kinds of turnout designs work electricly.

Plastic frogs (peco insulfrog, Atlas snap switch) carry the correct polarity past the frog and have a small dead spot at the plastic frog.

Live rail frogs (peco elecrofrog, older Walthers, hand layed) have frogs that are part of the running rails and proper polarity is selected by the position of the turnout requiring electrical gaps past the frog. That is what the original poster was having some trouble with. See the web site Nigel referenced.

Isolated metal frogs (Atlas custom line, new Walthers) These turnouts have metal frog that are isolated from both rails, but have jumpers carring correct polarity past the frog. They can be used with the frogs dead, or the frogs can be powered to the correct polarity with contacts on the switch machine. This is the kind of set up I prefer. As do many people in DCC.

Each has advantages and disadvantages depending on your wiring, operational goals, types of equipment and just plain what you like or are used to. I personally use Atlas and many I know in DCC also use Atlas and are very happy with them. They are without question the least expensive of the "better" products if cost is a consideration.

Warning - do not confuse Atlas snap switches with Atlas custom line turnouts. They are two completely different products, the first generally for simple train sets, the latter a more serious, better designed, more prototypical product. But still very afordably priced compaired to many others.

Nigel's sugestion to check out several isa good one. I would also recommend any good book on wiring basics. I can't recommend any particular one because I don't own any.

Hope this helps.

Sheldon

jsmvmd

Dear Sheldon,

Helps immensely!!  Thanks a million for the good thoughts and vibes!  I have just been offered a custom HO layout 11' x 22', block wired, etc and will set it up later this year.  Will have to play with the turnouts and possible replace the older ones.  I'll be having Fun Fun Fun, even without a T'Bird!

Best, Jack