News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

magentic uncouplers

Started by mf5117, March 01, 2009, 09:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf5117

yesterday i bought .the kadee magetic uncouplers . i noticed that with my bachmann rolling stock that came with my set .they uncouple just fine . being new i bought some off band cars to my liking some atlas cars . now i have learned to be patient buying rolling stock . but some of them wont uncouple .should i change out the couplers to the kadee or stick to the ez mate couples so i can work my switcher in the yard
regards mark f

mf5117

sorry i see i posted and asked this on 2 28 09 but still need feedback

jward

assuming that the coupler knuckle pivots freely and the knuckle spring is doing its job, you may have to adjust the metal trip pins beneath the coupler. to do this you will need a pair of needle nose pliers. to adjust the pin downward (which i assume is the adjustment you'd make as you haven't reported any problems with the trip pins derailing your cars at switches) place the curve of the trip pin between the jaws of the pliers and gently squeeze ubtil the pin starts to straighten. be careful not to use too much pressure or you'll damage the coupler. check to see if this solves the problem, and if not repeat the adjustment. the trip pins should be just a hair above the uncoupler surface.

to adjust the pin upward, CAREFULLY put one jaw on the head of the coupler, and the other on the end of the trip pin. gently squeeze until you see the pin start to bend. too much pressure here will snap the coupler head off so be VERY careful when you do this.

if you are unable to adjust the couplers to work right, or if they are damaged, replace them with kadees, which are much stronger than the other brands.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mf5117

i haven't had any problems with derailments ,only when i forget to move switch to curve or straight. i did have a problem with a #5 switch short curcuiting .and unpowered the frog . it was shorting out when i was backing  or coming into my yard . so the trip pin will have this affect if not low enough ,and if to low will cause derailment in turnouts. i will look into this and make adjustments . i did find that 3 out of my 20 cars had truck mounted couplers and the the rest are body mounted . the body mounted ones seem to give me the best performence . wow its not like my o gauge lionel just hit the button and done . thanks  for your help .......regards mark f

RAM

There are a few tools that will make life much easier.  piler for adjusting couplers pins. ( Kadee or micro-mark ) A Kadee coupler gauge, a tube of powered graphite, and a reamer for the trucks.