News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Looking For Help

Started by philman, March 02, 2009, 07:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renniks

Ray,

Tower Hobbies have the same set for $ 206.99.  Even better deal.

Eric UK

CNE Runner

'Way to go Eric!! You saved Philman another $50.51 which will purchase a couple of structures or more rolling stock. From the description, in the Micro Mark catalog, this looks like a good setup to enter the hobby.

Thanks for the return,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

SteamGene

One note, On30 is O gauge running on 30" narrow gauge track.  On3 is O gauge on 36" narrow gauge track. 
It might cost a few more dollars, but instead of getting a train set, look for:
a locomotive you like.
four-eight cars you like
A loop of track that will fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood or foam insulation board
one right hand and one left hand turnout
a power pack - DC or DCC. 
While Bachmann train sets are now of good quality, many others are NOT. 
As a rule, any manufacturer's equipment will work with any others - one of the major triumphs of the NMRA.  For instance, I have cars by Bachmann, Athearn, MDC, Tichy, Accurail, Model Power, Bowser, Intermountain, and a few I can't remember.  I have locomotives by Athearn, Bachmann, BLI, Bowser, Atlas, IHC, Rivarossi, and various brass builders/importers.
Instead of thinking of who you will cars and locos from, think of what do you WANT?
It's my railroad and if I want to run a 4-4-0 next to the most modern diesel, so what?
I want a modern/70s/transition/classic steam/late 19th-early 20th/ Wild Wild West.
I want eastern/granger/western.
These are all possibilities. 
Welcome to model railroading. 
Gene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

In other words, you want it ALL, just like me. 

My wife usually selects all our locomotives and rolling stock, so if she likes something it doesn't matter if it fits our roster/scheme/era/budget/etc.  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Joe Satnik

Dear Philman,

I'm kind of late jumping in here, but I really want to stress going beyond a 4' x 8' sheet to have at least 5' width everywhere.

You'll be thankful down the line for the expansion room and the ability to run up to 28" radius curves.   

Sorry to others for my repetitiveness.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8430.0.html   (Scroll down to 8th post.)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: added "(Scroll....)"
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Yampa Bob

Joe
Don't worry about the repetition, with all the new members signing up good information needs to be repeated frequently. If I had room, I would certainly expand to 5 X 9, so keep right on suggesting, doesn't bother me a bit.

I continue to bug everyone about digital multimeters, force gauges, coupler height gauges, all the little amenities that every modeler should have.   8)

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Joe Satnik

Dear Bob,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

CNE Runner

Joe: great idea of having parts of the layout at least 5' wide. My layout is 30"x 12' and is entirely devoted to switching (shunting) operations. Honestly, this gets a little old and I wish I could watch/listen to those Bachmann 4-4-0s "strut their stuff" on a continuous run. Space and location being what they are that isn't going to happen. Related to a wider layout is the caveat that one must be mindful of is that all layouts need maintenance from time to time. All track should remain within 24" (30" as a maximum) distance from a layout edge. Thity inches is the longest distance the average person can comfortably - and safely - reach (unless you are Magilla Gorilla). This can be accomplished with pop-outs, penninsula arrangements, and shelf-type layouts. If you find that you must have a larger piece of benchwork (than 30"), I highly recommend that you do not have a turnout in that area. Kalmbach publishing (publishers of Model Railroading magazine) offer numerous books on layout design, track plans, and construction.

I guess I should mention that I occasionally go to Huntsville and run those 4-4-0s on a fellow modeler's huge layout. You cannot believe the racket when we have 6 or 7 sound-equppped steam engines running - all at the same time! 'Gotta love it!

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"