This video is funny but it has a truthful meaning

Started by HOplasserem80c, March 25, 2007, 12:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOplasserem80c

Stephen D. Richards

That is a very good video.  Brings the point home about safety and not very expensive!  However, the other videos there, although some were funny, aren't such a good thing.  I think I see where to other post came from!  Stephen

Dr EMD

Excellent video with a great message!

I think at each model railroad club open house, this video and any Operation Lifesaver material should be made available.

North American's railroad when compared to what I have seen in Europe, is not as well fenced / gated.

Thanks for the link and the Sunday morning service!
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

Jim Banner

Sorry, but I do not find the video particularly funny.  But thanks for linking to it.  It does carry a real message in a memorable way.

Maybe part of my lack of humour in this case is having seen a locomotive hit a car at a crossing.  The car was a mid size American car and it was stalled on a private crossing.  The locomotive was a GP-38, travelling at about 30 miles per hour.  When the locomotive hit the car, the locomotive's coupler penetrated the passenger door just above seat level.  It continued through to about the center of the steering column.  That was far enough to smash the driver's hips, sending bone fragments through one and possibly both femeral arteries, causing him to bleed to death in less than two minutes.  Fortunately, the driver had abandoned the car before the locomotive hit it, so he lived.  If he had stayed in the car, he would have died.

The car was carried down the track about 75 yards, still hanging from the coupler.  It took a large tow truck to finally pull it free.  One thing that is still very vivid in my mind is the moment of impact.  The car went instantly from stopped to 30 miles per hour.  The locomotive never slowed a bit.  I have often wondered since whether such a T-bone crash would have instantly killed the driver by snapping his neck, sparing him the agony of being crushed and then bleeding to death.

A lasting effect of witnessing this crash is that I tend to slow down and look both ways at crossings, even if they are controlled by flashing lights and/or gates.  My mind tells me that these safety devices very rarely fail, but my memory tells me what could happen if they did.  I also avoid stopping on railway tracks waiting for traffic lights to change.   If you are the driver behind me, I appologize for the inconvenience, but don't hold your breath waiting for me to change.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

HOplasserem80c

It isn't funny cause it really happends but it is funny because you don't see that everyday on a train layout. You are all welcome for the link.

SteamGene

I agree Jim.  Nice layout for the most part. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

WoundedBear

SteamGene

Ah, yes.  I've seen this.  Good.  And lots of fun.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

HOplasserem80c

HAHA but we all know that is you controlling the trains.

Paul M.

Quote from: WoundedBear on March 25, 2007, 08:12:26 PM
I think I found a video of Plasser......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC8VzVmNPOI&mode=related&search=

LMAO....this one is actually funny Gene.

Sid

Oh good. You saw that one too. I knew it was somebody on the board, I just couldn't put my finger on who it was.

NOTE: If anybody hasn't seen the thread "our worst model train crashes" they should. Plasser will be lucky if he doesn't get banned, so it'll get deleted soon.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific